Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

New to Group

Support4June
Support4June Member Posts: 2 Member

Good morning (I hope) - Caregiver for my SIL who has diagnose of Bipolar DO with Dementia. I am her full time live in caregiver. She takes Seroquel and Depakote DR. No medication for dementia as it has reverse action, increases her anxiety.

I just need a place to talk and exchange experiences as they happen. Hopefully someone is out there that would like to converse 🤩

Tagged:

Comments

• suezzeeq
    suezzeeq Member Posts: 1
    First Comment

I am the full time caregiver for my husband who has worsening dementia. Things took a sudden turn in Nov with a Beta Strep UTI. He went to rehab after hospitalization. He got physical in the hospital and worse in rehab. Thought it was due to the UTI. He has ESRD and goes to dialysis. Less than a week home from rehab, dialysis blew his fistula. Hematoma from axillary to knuckles. Spent 3 weeks in hospital followed by another rehab. Was started on Seroquel in Jan with increasing dose. No effect. We just stopped it totally since it hasn't made a difference for him. MD just ordered Depakote yesterday and am waiting for mail order pharmacy to send it. He has episodes of delusions for hours (most times days) followed by several days of continuous sleeping. When agitated He hollers for help but isn't in any distress. Very difficult during the night for me to get any sleep. We'll have to see if the Depakote helps at all. May add the Seroquel back if we see any difference.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,005
    500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

I am my DH full time caregiver. He started with Seroquel a couple years ago when his dementia got worse. It worked well for about a month with a couple of increases, but then stopped working. He has been on Risperidone now for over a year and it works very well with one increase during that time. It has been a miracle drug for us. He is calmer, has regained empathy and can do more on his own than he could before.

• Drapper
    Drapper Member Posts: 79
    Third Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments

My husband was put on seroquel Extended release by a psychiatrist. It seemed to make him overly tired. I started seeing a new neurologist , who prescribes meds, who wants to go back to trying SSRIs. Along with Xanax. not sure it is doing anything He is still anxious and has very angry outbursts Did you try this route first ? Only on Zoloft a month now augmenting with Xanax as needed

i think his is early mid stage Thanks

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney