Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Risperidone

Dlemelin
Dlemelin Member Posts: 1 Member
Hi there new to the group. I will try to keep this as brief as possible. My parents are both 86 years old. My dad has dementia/Alzheimer’s. He was given this medication because every time my mother goes to bingo which my siblings and I babysit him he believes that she is cheating on him and she’s leaving him and never coming home and she is staying in a hotel room with other men. We have no idea where this is coming from but after extensive talks with his doctor and psychiatrist, we thought this is
the best option. Unfortunately this medication is doing nothing has
anyone here had any experience
with this or have any advice?

Comments

• P H I L I P
    P H I L I P Member Posts: 1
    Second Anniversary First Comment

I had a friend on Risperidone. She did not like it.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,005
    500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

My DH takes Risperidone. He takes it for sometimes extreme agitation. He was not violent or argumentative, just bouncing off the walls 36 hours a day. It was the one thing that calmed him. It was the only thing, along with Memantine, that seems to work. It also lets him sleep soundly all through the night.

• chriswire
    chriswire Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    my wife was having extreme difficulties at her memory care. became very agitated at times, screaming at other residents and occasionally even physically violent.

doctor started her on risperidone, and we were very worried, having read about the side effects and long-term risks.

after an initial rough period, where she seemed very out of it, it did seem to level out the aggressive behavior. they have now reduced the dosage down to a bare minimum, so we’re feeling better about it.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more