Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

new to group

Davegrant
Davegrant Member Posts: 203
Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions

I am caregiver since 2016 for my DW who has dementia with anosognosia. Recently dw has been making negative comments when we are out in public, and I am not sure if I should limit those opportunities or try to find some medications. I did contact her PP and she is looking into it. I know my dw is opposed to medication and it has been a challenge getting her take even a pill for her gastro. pain. Dw short term memory is gone so she refuses medication except when she is in pain. I am looking for comments on medication, types and methods of getting her to take it.

Dave

Comments

• Mayleen
    Mayleen Member Posts: 1
    First Comment

Mi Alzheimer family member has anxiety associated with the dis ease and is aggressive. What can I do? Help please.

• Davegrant
    Davegrant Member Posts: 203
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions
    edited May 2023

I have no personal experience but from what I have read here I would say to keep yourself safe. This means to me take whatever steps necessary to ensure your security at all times. Create an action plan. If you cannot guarantee your safety in your home one of you must leave. My situation is emotional rather than physical and I have decided to seek counseling for myself so that I can better deal with the emotional aspects of this disease as it progresses. The disease gets worse. DW cannot change. I have done what I can in the last six years to tolerate my DW disease behaviors but have come to a place where I have run out of solutions. I believe I have made all the changes that I can and that I need some outside help.

A reminder to contact ALZCONNECTED , 800-272-3900 to talk to a trained person.

Dave

• Drapper
    Drapper Member Posts: 79
    Third Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes 10 Comments

My DH also has anosognosia. And has started to exhibit very difficult behaviors publicly too. I am about 6 years in this also I recently (30 days ago) switched neurologist to one that is comfortable and knowledgeable about various meds. It is a trial and error game. I am personally very against medications that change one’s brain chemistry. But the anxiety and stress being experienced by my DH is great and he needs help. Still have not found a great solution but am able to calm down his outburst with these drugs. Zoloff seems to calm his general anxiety but needs things like Xanax to treat scute situations where redirecting is not working. Have not found answer yet, but I’m less afraid to try things.

i am also doing counseling for myself as my anxiety is crazy high these days.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more