Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

FREE men's clothing for toileting, incontinence and/or undressing issues

ccgodkins
ccgodkins Member Posts: 2
First Comment

What I have for free is called "adaptive clothing". My husband was in Memory Care with Alzheimer's for 3 years. At some point he stopped using toilets to urinate or defecate, and he was not asking or telling anyone that he needed "to go". Instead he was unzipping his pants and doing either or both in a sink, a chair, the floor, his bed, and one time, into a large souvenir mug that was on his windowsill. All of this was a maintenance mess for the aides and custodians. Wearing sweatpants wasn't a solution because he could just pull then down. The Memory Care staff and I discussed various ways to "manage" my husband's behavior. For example, that an aide would take him to a toilet every 2 hours. I made a suggestion to cover the flush handle with bright yellow duct tape and maybe he would notice THIS toilet and use it, rather than "looking for the toilet in our home" because he wasn't recognizing any other toilet for what it was. There were other ideas but none worked. I was willing and able to pay out of pocket for whatever would prevent him from doing what he was doing. I learned about "adaptive clothing" as a solution and was referred to Buck & Buck's website to see what I could buy. They offer merchandise for men and women. I bought for my husband what looks like a long sleeved collared jersey worn with sweatpants. It is actually a one piece jumpsuit with a long zipper in the BACK, that unzips to below the waist. There are no pockets. There is no way an impaired person can undress him/herself. Someone else has to unzip the jumpsuit. My husband died in November. This type of clothing is specifically for cognitively impaired people with toileting or undressing issues. What I have to offer for free are fourteen M/L men's long sleeve polo jumpsuits in very good condition that sell new for $63...and also eight M/L men's back zippered sleeper suits in excellent condition that sell new for $49. When my husband actually became incontinent he wore adult briefs in addition to the jumpsuits. I will gladly pack the clean folded clothing and pay for shipping. If anyone is interested to see what this clothing looks like, go to the Buck & Buck website and click on "men's adaptive clothing". It will mean a lot to me to find someone who can improve an impaired loved one's quality of life with these jumpsuits...and the caretakers' quality of life too.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more