Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Hello and welcome all!

blue1976F
blue1976F Member Posts: 6
First Comment
Hello everyone I'm new on the website and here in general. Here's some brief background information about me I'd like to share. I use to work as a professional and state certified caregiver for about 5 years in different agencies. I know the signs and symptoms of many of the common conditions such as Alzheimer's, dementia and Parkinson's.

Anyway, my parents are both having different symptoms and behavioral changes. Both have a short term memory issue. Both are possibly no longer able to manage their finances and one family member that was the remaining one doing the driving for both of them is having spatial issues, is driving in and out of his lane, isn't looking both ways before he starts driving on a new road, my other family member told me he's been in accidents, etc. They're not eating right, one's dressing in winter clothes, etc.

Every time I ask to come over to help with house chores, cleaning...they refuse my help. I once was able to, spent about 4 hours doing one entire section of the home. One family member did one thing, cleaned the glass on a set of doors. I'm not sure what the other family member done, but I done all of the work! Afterward, they were both passed out on their couch. They need help with house chores. Every time I call one of the family members, they say they're working on cleaning the house. They're unable to get it done and refuse my help. This is really sad and frustrating, I know they need the help. At least there's sometimes I can help them they accept, but I'm just going to have to be patient I suppose and let them have their independence...

Also, I don't know what to do about helping them beyond this. Especially my Father getting into car accidents. I believe my sibling was elected by them to be their POA. He's sick, has PTSD, has a life and a girlfriend with a baby. He's refusing to help, says he doesn't agree with anything I'm saying and I'm treating our parents like early invalids. He didn't even listen to what I needed to tell him which is unbelievable. And, I've tried calling doctors, my one parent the other told me is taking 5 heart medications. I saw 4 bottles of them. I wrote them down what the medication is and the doctor's name. I called all of the doctor's on the bottles and tried explaining what's going on. One I contacted told me they can't do anything because I'm not on my parent's HIPPA?! What am I suppose to do, let him just keep taking that many every day? He won't listen to me, got upset when I brought it up to him and will listen to his doctor over me. Any suggestions about what I do about all of this I mentioned?

Thanks in advance,
Kimberly of AL

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living