Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Applying for Lequembi treatment

rgm3
rgm3 Member Posts: 2
First Comment

My dw has been diagnosed with Mild Cognitive Impairment and Mild Alzheimer's Disease. I am asking her Neurologist to start treatment with Lequembi but he is telling me that if she continues to deny memory problems (she has been diagnosed with Anosognosia) she may be refused Lequembi because she may be at greater risk of dropping out of the treatment.

I think this is unfair and I would like to know if anyone else has faced this issue of being refused treatment because of anosognosia and what they have done about it.

thank you, rgm3

Comments

• PJ52
    PJ52 Member Posts: 27
    10 Comments 5 Likes

I’m sorry you’re in this situation. My first thought was how will you convince her to sit through infusions if she believes she doesn’t need them? The first treatment takes four to five hours, reducing incrementally over the following treatments. My husband, also in the MCI stage, had to discontinue lecanemab because of the side effects, but we are hopeful the new tablet, ALZ-801 by Alzheon, will be approved by the end of this year. Not only has it shown benefits without side effects, it will be much easier to administer. So that’s something to keep in mind and follow.

• Sandra E. Barkan
    Sandra E. Barkan Member Posts: 4
    First Comment

• fjackson
    fjackson Member Posts: 4
    First Comment
    I am new to this group. My husband diagnosed himself 4 years ago. It took almost 2 years to get into a neurologist. He qualified for Leqembi and has been having injections for the past year. The disease is slowly progressing. Our dr tells us not to expect any changes until he has had all 36 infusions.
    I try every day to remember that he has this terrible disease and to not have myself a little pity party. It is hard. He does not want to go anywhere or do anything. He does not want to see friends. He just wants to stay home. I keep trying to convince him that being active , socially and physically, is very helpful. He was such a gregarious, fun guy. I miss that.
    I hope for better days to come. I guess that is all I can do.
    Thanks for letting me vent a little. I think I need to find a support group.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more