Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

DH can't sit down ?

Hi all,

DH who has EOAD seems to be rapidly declining.  He is able to walk.  Non-stop pacing.  But he is struggling with sitting down.  Physically, he seems to have lost the ability to sit.  This is causing trouble with bathroom, getting in bed, sitting in a chair....etc.  The doctor has prescribed medicine to help sedate for the pacing as anti-psychotics have not helped.  

But now he is pacing to the point of exhaustion and not able to sit.  He is standing and nearly falling asleep.

Anyone else come across this and how do I help him sit.  He is a big guy, about 230lbs.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Doityourselfer
    Doityourselfer Member Posts: 224
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments

My husband, who also has EOAD, has trouble sitting.   It takes a lot of effort to get him to sit.  He used to pace a lot but as his AD progressed he has slowed down a great deal but will stand around for up to 4 hours.  He doesn't understand how to get into his bed.  I help him the best I can.  The part of his brain that controls balance, walking and sitting is deteriorating - it's just part of his disease.  He is incontinent so we no longer have to deal with the toilet.  When he's tired he wants to lie down.

I guess patience is key when dealing with someone who is unable to sit.  The next stage, I believe,  will be immobility.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    I don't have anything to offer about the situation, but I was wondering what you would do if he fell? There are several youtube videos for that, and here is a link to a search I did. Hope it helps. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=help+someone+up+from+a+fall  
  • 4Grams
    4Grams Member Posts: 17
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments

Oh my goodness. I feel like HusbandhasEO and Doityourself was talking about the problem my DH is having. He will go in the bathroom but won’t sit down. We went to the dr today and he would not sit down in the wheelchair. He can walk but it is a shuffle step and we had to walk a long way. I got a wheelchair. He finally sit down. Very frustrating. He tries to sit on the arm of chairs or lean against the wall. That results in loosing his balance and falling. 

He is the middle-later stage of Alzheimer’s. 

• JJAz
    JJAz Member Posts: 285
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments

Inability to sit down is a common symptom of Lewy Body Dementia, the 2nd most common type of dementia.  Be sure to discuss this with your physician.  Here is more information

https://www.lbda.org/symptoms/

• KatieKat1
    KatieKat1 Member Posts: 55
    10 Comments Second Anniversary

Husband has same issues with constant pacing, problems with sitting and getting in bed,  and also difficulty turning around to sit on toilet, etc.  DH has FTD and Primary Aggressive Aphasia.  He is on meds and Neurologist is adding a new one to hopefully slow down the hours of pacing and rummaging. He has more energy than I do with all this pacing, etc., But I have to follow him because he can get into mischief.  We are going on 4 years with this disease. He can't remember too much, and with the PAA we have real communication problems.  I wish you the best...it is exhausting going through this stage and I hope it will eventually subside or at least slow him down a bit.
  • Dreamer Lost
    Dreamer Lost Member Posts: 17
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments
    My Dh lost the ability to sit almost a year ago.  He is now stage 7, double incontinent and walks slowly with a walker with me by his side pushing him along.  He also used to walk around the house for hours on end (I just let him but kept an eye on him), then he walked, pushing a walker, now he shuffles with the walker with assistance.  Sitting on the commode went away quickly (so I started using men's guards in his underwear) and advanced to depends pull ups.  I tried all of the videos to help him sit but nothing worked until now. With his walker in front of him and a sit-to-stand recliner behind him (in the up position), I can gently but firmly push him back into the recliner (with him yelling at me to stop, etc.).  I try to position his hands on the arms of the recliner while I lower the chair to its sitting position.  I also have to push him backwards on the bed to get him to recline, then pull his legs up and around (also with him yelling at me but luckily it only takes a few minutes now).  I also have a hydraulic lift (bought on Amazon for $500) that I will probably use before too long.  Good Luck.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more