Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

SSA -- Having a payee means I'm not authorized on my account

I did not realize that having my spouse listed as the payee for my benefits also meant that I was not authorized to do simple things, such as change my mailing address.

It isn't as if I I would get checks mailed to me... that is done automatically to an account I have no access too.  A requirement for SSDI when it was awarded many years ago.

It was frustrating when I phoned to change my mailing address since I could not do so online.

First, I went through the auto phone tree qualification.

Then I provided the same information for the in person SSA assistant.

Then, my spouse had to provide the same information for the in person SSA assistant.

I do understand the need for security and accuracy.

I was left feeling a bit like less of a person by the process, though.

I will recover.  Still.  

Comments

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Please don't say you feel like less than a person, KawKaw! You are a person who needs help.  Fortunately, you have a reliable, trustworthy person to provide help.  That is so much to be appreciative of.

One of the concepts in care that I read here recently is the role of the care provider in removing responsibility.  Your husband took over that responsibility so you would have one less thing to deal with and struggle with.  Another concept is to focus on what you can do, not on what you can't do.  What you are doing daily, keep on doing.  Don't frustrate yourself with things that can be avoided.  Life is already too short.  

IMO, it's very important to keep a positive mindset.  There is so much that is negative about living with dementia, and about our world in general.  I try not to look for the bad side.

How are you settling into your new home?  Are you getting out with your dogs?  Is your area opened up?  Here in CA, we're are going to open up next week, June 15.  

Iris

• Michael Ellenbogen
    Michael Ellenbogen Member Posts: 991
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions

I know what you mean as they did the same to mee and it sucks as they take away you  rights. One day I may change that but that’s at the bottom of my list.

• laughing
    laughing Member Posts: 12
    Fifth Anniversary 10 Comments
    Try not to feel sad. I too have my spouse as a payee and all authority is taken which feels like losing your dignity and respect. However, so many fraudulent things happen, too many people have payees who are family members who rip them off, change addresses as well. The check won't come in the mail but every attempt is made to ensure you and your needs are taken care of. In addition to necessities have her buy 2 movie tickets, take a gardening class together do dental work, etc. It is a pain in the groin but believe me it is all worth it to make sure noone changes your address to homeless.
  • BadMoonRising
    BadMoonRising Member Posts: 57
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Kawkaw,

I don't have a Rep Payee and was never required to have one. You do have the right to request that your rep payee be removed, although you may need to have a treating physician sign off on the request. I know you probably won't do this, but I wanted to make it clear to others that a rep payee is not automatically required simply because of your diagnosis.

• KawKaw
    KawKaw Member Posts: 58
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments
    Thank you, all.
    I recovered from the sensation of being somewhat "less than."
    I do understand why I have a Payee.  It was assigned due to my disabling condition (2012) specifically.
    I did not understand that a payee covered everything.  That was disconcerting.  My spouse has so much to do already.
    It might have helped if the person on the phone was willing to talk to me about my SSDI account details instead of requiring I hand the phone over to my spouse.
    It seemed extreme not to trust me to hear information about my account.
    Annoying.
    I have indeed moved on.  
    We have still not entirely unpacked, but I am achieving a bit more every week.
    The dogs are LOVING having a yard, and I am loving them having a yard.
    It has gotten too hot to walk them far in the mornings, so I have a recumbent bicycle exercise machine with hand pedals included to get my daily exercise.
    My FIL with dementia is doing okay.  Not great, not horrible.
    I do have a positive outlook.  I am seeing the psychologist I have had for 15 or so years.  She is actually good with MCI issues and planning and much associated with it.  She helps to prevent me from pathologizing all of my difficulties.  Some are merely the human condition.  Imagine that!  hehehe
    The birds are singing outside, the windows are open until 9am when the heat begins to intensify.
    Be well, all!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney