Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

I've Got You

EdiBug
EdiBug Member Posts: 14
Fourth Anniversary First Comment
"I've got you."  Three simple words that helped my husband, Bill, navigate this awful disease called Alzheimer's.  These are the words that I told him when he started having memory issues 17 years ago when he was still in his late forties and we had no clue what this journey would look like.  I've said these words many times over the years as we experienced the long process of getting the official diagnosis of EOAD, and again when the disease started taking over his brain … when he was frightened, angry or just sad … we both clung to the knowledge that I would help figure out a way to carry him through this.  I admit, there were many times that I really didn't know how to do this and I doubted myself, and yet, he still believed that "we" could do it. Sometimes, when "I've got you" was not enough, I would ask him, "Do you trust me?".  He would always answer yes, even when he couldn't speak the word, he would shake his head yes. My goal was always to get him to the other side with grace, compassion and dignity … to not forget the core of who he was … the funny, caring, sincere man who would take time to smile and talk with anyone.  Those three simple words helped ground us, focus us and kept us going down the same path together.  On Saturday, after 37 years of marriage and many emotion filled moments, I uttered those three simple words, "I've got you" one last time to my husband, Bill. He was 65 years old. RIP Wilco. God's got you now.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    I'm sorry for your loss, but you handled everything beautifully. Those three words made a world of difference to him, for a long time. You can hold your head high.
  • Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    I am so very sorry for your loss.  You "had him"  for a long, long time in a caregiving mode. You can rest now, as he is resting.   Your post resonated with me as I always find myself saying, "You're good or You're fine" as reassurance to DH as we maneuver throughout the day.    God bless you and your family going forward.
  • Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    I am sorry for you loss, may you find some peace in the days ahead.
  • LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Dear EdiBug.

I am sorry for your loss.

You are a truly compassionate and courageous wife and caregiver. Your journey was long. Please take time to care for yourself now. Your husband is in good hands.

May the Lord comfort you and bring you peace. God's got you too.

-LT

• aod326
    aod326 Member Posts: 235
    Third Anniversary 100 Comments
    EdiBug, it's difficult to find words when the inevitable finally happens. Treasure the love so evident in your post.
  • ems52
    ems52 Member Posts: 2
    First Comment First Anniversary
    I am so sorry for your loss. My Faith believes "absent from the body at home with the Lord." Your DH is home, where he can be the Loving man you knew and not be trapped in the diseased shell that changed him so much. He is there in your heart where you can keep him safely, and know that now, He's got you!
  • anneleigh
    anneleigh Member Posts: 65
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments
    So sorry for your loss.  Praying you have family nearby to help you through your journey.
  • June45
    June45 Member Posts: 364
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions
    EdiBug...you expressed your caregiving journey beautifully.  Bill was blessed to have you on his side.  May God give you peace in your heart for the days to come.
  • JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes

(((EdiBug)))  I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm moved by your post, and your loving care for your DH for so long.

• hvhartman
    hvhartman Member Posts: 7
    Seventh Anniversary First Comment
    Simple thoughts and words can express the deepenst emotions.  Thank you for sharing.  My condolences on your loss.
  • Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    Beautifully expressed—thank you for sharing how you got through such a long caregiving journey.  Heartfelt condolences to you on your DH’s passing.
  • Hoser
    Hoser Member Posts: 1
    Second Anniversary First Comment
    Wow, EdiBug, your words filled my heart -- thank you for expressing so well what is the essence of true love and commitment. I'm keeping you in my heart tonight. Be well.
  • David J
    David J Member Posts: 479
    100 Comments Third Anniversary
    Edi, I am sorry for your loss. You and Bill have endured a long struggle and now it’s time to rest.
  • Treading_water
    Treading_water Member Posts: 17
    10 Comments First Anniversary
    I am so very sorry for your loss.
  • CStrope
    CStrope Member Posts: 487
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Edibug, I am so sorry, not only for your loss, but for all that you have been through.  I hope that I can carry through on my journey with as much care and compassion as you have.

• Marie58
    Marie58 Member Posts: 382
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments
    EdiBug, I'm so sorry for your loss. May God comfort you and give you strength in the days and weeks ahead. You both fought the good fight. God's got you now!
  • amicrazytoo
    amicrazytoo Member Posts: 169
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments
    EdiBug - So sorry for your loss. Those three words are worth remembering, I am hoping they will make a difference for my DH. (((HUGS)))
  • storycrafter
    storycrafter Member Posts: 273
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    Thank you for your beautiful, heartfelt testimony. Wishing you comfort, peace, and restoration.
  • ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    Dear Edibug - you have my most heartfelt sympathy on your DH's transition from this life. What a bond, and what a beautiful way to show your love to each other, through this long goodbye. I wish you all the time and support you need to grieve and heal further as your new normal emerges. I pray that you, too, will have the assurance you provided your loved one of being cared for, 'come what may'.  Know that if or when there is anything you need from your forum mates, we are here. You are an inspiration and I thank you for sharing this special testimony during such a difficult time.
  • Doityourselfer
    Doityourselfer Member Posts: 224
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments
    I'm sorry for your loss.
  • Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,673
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    (((EdiBug))) I am so sorry.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One