Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

A diagnosis that isn't a diagnosis

2»

Comments

• DrinaJGB
    DrinaJGB Member Posts: 425
    100 Comments First Anniversary
    Marta--Thank you, but it is what it is.I was consumed with anger for so long until I just let it go for my own good. My anger was getting in the way of life. There are so many so much worse off, so all we can do is be grateful for each day and carry on. There isn't any other alternative is there? We take our morning walks with the dogs and enjoy the nature around us. It's a lot better than it was during the first year or so after he was discharged. That was a frightening and surreal experience, so these days are some that I realize we must be thankful for. The thing my DH has taught me is not to be bitter about what was dealt to us. Years ago I asked him if he was angry about what happened to him and he simply said "no, who would I be angry with?" Good point. I realized he was actually the teacher in all this.
  • Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Palmetto Peg wrote:
    The PCP did say that she would check his B-12 again in three months and if it was still low she would do injections.  He is taking 2500 mg daily right now.  Would it be appropriate to ask for the injections now to rule out that being a cause of the memory loss and confusion?  

Peg, since your husband is already experiencing serious symptoms, I think it would be reasonable to request a more certain form of administration.  

When I was in medical school, we had a patient hospitalized with dementia who was treated with injections.  Within a few days there was noticeable improvement.  Granted that patient had a severe deficiency.  If your husband's B12 deficiency is the same after three months, his dementia could be worse.   Since this is a condition that is possibly treatable, it makes sense to prioritize it.

Iris

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney