Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

His Alzheimer's is hurting my teeth

While having my teeth cleaned a couple of days ago, I told the hygienist I was having problems with TMJ pain and also a tooth that hurts on and off.  When the dentist came in, she said she thinks I am clenching my jaw at night.  That would explain the jaw pain and headaches I have been having and the tooth pain.  She said when a person clenches their teeth at night, the jaw joint tightens down really hard and can cause minute cracks at the base of the teeth.  This can lead to cavities.  She suggested a night guard.  The guard she would make would cost $560.  I left the dental office feeling very depressed and angry.  I've always tried to take care of my teeth.  Now it seems I may be hurting them due to stress that causes me to clench my jaw in my sleep.  I feel angry and also discouraged.  It seems Alzheimer's is affecting every facet of my life.

Comments

• lqadams
    lqadams Member Posts: 51
    Legacy Membership 10 Comments 5 Likes
    I also clench my teeth. I had a dentist make me a guard and I used it for years. When it needed replaced, my current dentist told me to get a kit from store and make my own. Walmart, $30. Works great!
  • 60 falcon
    60 falcon Member Posts: 201
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Likes
    lqadams wrote:
    ...my current dentist told me to get a kit from store and make my own. Walmart, $30. Works great!
    That's what I'm going to do.  My dentist made a night guard for me that was way expensive.  If I get another it will be from a store.  I clench my teeth too and I don't believe I did that before Alz.
  • Paris20
    Paris20 Member Posts: 502
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions
    I had the same problem, which I’d never had before. The dentist asked if there was stress in my life. Hah! I’ve written here before that my PCP convinced me to try an antidepressant because the stress was killing me. I took her advice and, among other symptoms, my teeth-clenching stopped.
  • sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 743
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I got a cheap night guard from Target--never could make it work for me. I have an active gag reflex.

I got a slightly less cheap night guard from Target. It doesn't make me gag as much, but scrapes the inside of my mouth.

I got a custom (soft) night guard from my local university's Dental Hygienist program--they have to practice, so it's like a beauty school where they offer discounted services.

I got the (hard) night guard my dentist recommended. Very expensive, but way cheaper than a single cracked tooth. My dentist said not to use the soft one because you end up chewing on in and cause more damage. I still use both--when things are bad and I'm chewing anyway I use #3, and when I just need protection/reminder I use the dentist one.

• Buggsroo
    Buggsroo Member Posts: 573
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions

I have a special relationship with Edvard Munch the scream. I do it on a regular basis, I stand in the hallway and do the silent scream. Honestly, I am getting to the point where I just want shot of taking care of a person who will not wash, wants food all the same and then calls me lazy and douchebag on top of it all. My jaw aches from clenching it, my fists ache from balling up, I am just sick to death of it all. 

If I go out, I usually feel better but my emotions are all over the map. Sometimes I am so depressed I go down the basement and hide out. I still ask myself what I did in a past life to merit this. Sigh, we are victims of our own altruism.

• Gig Harbor
    Gig Harbor Member Posts: 564
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    Buggsroo I feel the exact same way. I hate this caregiving life. I wish I could be patient, loving and compassionate but it is not happening. It is hard to see a light at the end of the tunnel and to try to stay healthy so I can enjoy life again some day. This makes me sound horrible when I read it back but I would be lying if I said otherwise.
  • CStrope
    CStrope Member Posts: 487
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    My TMJ is horrible!!!  I can't remember  the last time I was able to properly open up and take a bit of a big juicy hamburger!!!   Oh wait, yes, I do remember, about a year ago when we just started on this journey!
  • Buggsroo

Hi Gig Harbor,

Thanks, I see we are in the same boat, sigh. Misery loves company, I wouldn’t wish this on anyone.

I used to have TMJ and I started massaging my jaw, looking for that little spot on the left side of my jaw. I would press on it until I felt a little pop. It would give me some relief. I used to eat French bread and it was painful, after doing my treatment on my cheek, eventually it subsided. I can understand how painful it is and how frustrating it is for the caregivers among us. 

• White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 851
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes
    Thank you, Iqadams, I will look into that.  Thank you all for your replies.  I'm sorry we are clenching our jaws but I'm glad you all understand.
  • David J
    David J Member Posts: 479
    100 Comments Third Anniversary

Buggsroo, see my profile photo!  

I have had TMJ damage and still clench my jaw and grind my teeth in my sleep. I can’t open my mouth wider than an inch or so, which drives the dental hygienist nuts. “Open! Open! Open”! You think she’d understand.  At least it hasn’t gotten stuck open for a few years.

• Buggsroo

David J,

That’s it, the silent scream. Love it. Did it a lot today.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more