Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing?

Scooterr
Scooterr Member Posts: 168
100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes

Need some advise or you may say I have a question only a caregiver would understand. My DW has developed a new issue in the last week. The issue being she now doesn't know her left hand and arm is part of her. She believes it's some other women or girl interfering with her. This doesn't happen all the time, but it happens at least a couple of times a day and it can last for a very long time. She may be doing dishes, eating, folding clothes, or what ever one may use two hands with.  Frist she may just argue with her arm or hand to the point I've seen her hit her arm with a water bottle telling it to, "get back and go away." ( all sharp  instruments are locked up.)

I've tried to redirect or deflect, by stepping in and  changing what's she's doing on to something else. Sometimes it works but most the time it doesn't simply  because her arm is part of her and the problem stays with her. I've even got to the point where I've tried to explain to her, "it her arm and she's in control of it ." I know I may not should have done that but I had no choice (that sure enough didn't work). Today she started on her left leg, saying  it wasn't hers so the problem seems to be growing bigger. By the way she is on medication for her delusion, but I don't want to mediate her to much.

Has anyone experienced these problems before with a LO, knows anyone who went though this and what did they do? or does anyone have any advise I my try or use?  

Comments

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Medically, this is called "neglect".  I searched for neglect in dementia but was presented with a different form of neglect.  You may try to search "neglect in stroke"--you may get some more understanding.

Iris L.

• Gig Harbor
    Gig Harbor Member Posts: 564
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    I haven’t heard of this before but I would consider upping her medicine dose until she no longer has this delusion. Living with this delusion must be scary and very irritating for her. I don’t think you need to worry about medicating her too much. As soon as you can break this delusion  for a few days you could lower the dose again. I personally believe in better living thru drugs LOL. That is why I take a daily antidepressant and have a glass of wine at night. Good luck. This must be so hard to watch all day.
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,721
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    I wish I had advice. It's interesting, though, because it tells you that the pareital lobes of the brain are affected- that's another term you might Google to see if there's additional information. I kinda doubt you can medicate this away, but medication might make it less bothersome to her.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    If medication would make it easier for her, I would certainly do that.
  • CS 63
    CS 63 Member Posts: 32
    10 Comments First Anniversary
    Look up 'Alien Arm'.  It is common with Corticobasal Degeneration.
  • JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes

I've never heard of this, and I'm sure I'm not the only one here who is learning about this for the first time. I can see how it would be so irritating and scary for your DW.

Thank you for sharing, and helping to educate me. I'm in constant amazement at how the brain works. 

It seems like you've already had some great advice. 

• Scooterr
    Thank you guys for your advise and input. Your advise has got me a better starting point. I didn't know where, how or what. Thanks again.
  • Palmetto Peg
    Palmetto Peg Member Posts: 189
    Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Likes
    There is a good fiction book called "Left Neglected" by Lisa Genova.  It is the story of a woman who suffers brain damage in a car accident.  She loses all perception of the left side of her body, including not being able to see anything to the left of her.  It is likely that your LO's brain is deteriorating in the area where her perception is impaired.  Meds might help her not be as bothered, but in the book anyway, the woman also lost the use of her left leg.  I would watch and make sure she doesn't start falling.  Definitely worth a call to the doctor!
  • Palmetto Peg
    Palmetto Peg Member Posts: 189
    Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Likes

I forgot to mention that the author, Lisa Genova, is a neuroscientist and has also written fiction books about ALZ - remember "Still Alice"?

I doubt any of us are filling our free time reading about ALZ and now Left Neglect Syndrome, but she is a PhD neuroscientist with a degree from Harvard, so I assume she is giving real info.   

• Scooterr
    Oh yes going to the neurologist week after next. Thanks you

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia