Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

I hope this isn't what it might be

Ed1937
Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
One of our sons came up from Florida today. We had been sitting in the living room chatting for a while when my wife asked him where his mom and dad were. I want to think maybe she was trying to say something else, but that just came out instead. He handled it well, saying he didn't know exactly where they were now.

Comments

• June45
    June45 Member Posts: 365
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions
    Ed, it probably is what it might me. Statements like that took me off guard at first, but I am used to them now and they can even make me smile at times.  Last month when my daughter visited, my husband asked her if she would marry him.
  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,766
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    [[[ ]]]   I think that's a hug
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,497
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Your son sounds like he was very calm and a quick thinker. He did handle it very well. Great kids you and your wife have. I’m going to think positive for you both! 

• Sligo177
    Sligo177 Member Posts: 165
    100 Comments Second Anniversary
    I'm sorry Ed, and I know how that feels.  My DH is mixing up people constantly now, not knowing names, and not knowing which daughter is which.  The kids take it much better than I do.  I can see the day coming when he won't know me.
  • Paris20
    Paris20 Member Posts: 502
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions
    Ed, I’m terribly sorry but I know exactly how you feel. A couple of weeks ago, my husband looked at me and asked where his wife was. That really stopped me cold. It hasn’t happened since but I know it will.  He looks at photos of our children and grandchildren and constantly confuses one for the other. When I told him our grandson and his wife are expecting a baby, he told me that would make him a great uncle. I know this will all worsen and it really upsets me, more than any of the other horrible symptoms I’ve seen.
  • amicrazytoo
    amicrazytoo Member Posts: 169
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments
    I'm sorry Ed.  (((hugs)))
  • Ernie123
    Ernie123 Member Posts: 152
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    During my daily visit recently with my DW in the memory care unit where she now lives I thought we would be having a good visit because she didn’t appear too  agitated or delusional and was able to speak coherently, which often is not the case. At any rate, shortly after my arrival, she frowned,  looked at me sternly, and said I should go. Surprised I said I just got here! No, she said I had to leave. Why I asked? She replied emphatically that her husband was coming soon and I couldn’t  be there when he arrives. I could see she was getting upset, so I left. To me this is just another example of how strange and terrible the effects of this disease can be. She still knew she has a husband ( married 54 years), remembered that he visits, but could not recognize him sitting with her holding her hand.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more