Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Home from grandson't wedding.

Our trip to our grandson's wedding went well...mostly.  There were some rough spots.  Some of them were very rough.  At one point DH didn't know who I was.  That had never happened before and it felt like someone had kicked me in the gut!  He was very tired from seeing his sister's for lunch and going to the rehearsal dinner in the evening.  He kept looking at me and asking where we were going to sleep...there were two beds in our hotel room.  When I said we would both sleep in the same bed, he got quiet and then asked again where we were going to sleep.  I finally said, "I'm Brenda," do you know who I am?  He thought and then said, "I think you're my wife."  Then he asked when we got married.  Then he asked if we were married.  At that point, I went to our daughter's hotel room and asked her to come talk to her dad.  He didn't know her either!  After awhile, DD suggested we play rummy.  That seemed to bring DH back to reality and he knew us again. 

The visit with his sister's was great!  They laughed with him and told stories and teased him and hugged him.  It was wonderful to see him interacting with them.  At one point though DH asked me who these people were.  Sigh.  He still enjoyed it and especially when his youngest sister gave him a big bowl of ice cream!

We made it to the rehearsal dinner and DH looked around and said he didn't know anyone there.  He didn't even recognize our sons or grandchildren.  Each of them sat down and talked to him for awhile though and it made him very happy.  He kept pointing to one of them and saying, that girl looks familiar, or that guy looks familiar.  It was sad...I felt sad for him but so happy that everyone was glad he was there.

The wedding was beautiful and joyful!!  I was so grateful to be there and felt so blessed.  It felt so good to be with our family, too.  DH never did really know who got married but he smiled and was pleasant and had a nice time.  We even got to stay for the reception which was so much fun!  Watching our grandchildren dance and be so happy warmed my heart.  And they each came over and hugged us and said they were so glad we were there.  It was a wonderful trip even with the hard parts and the sad parts.  We got home last night and I was tired but happy.  Thank you all for your advice.  I made sure to take a go bag along to the wedding with an extra set of clothes.  Thankfully, we didn't need it.  DD provided music for the trip and support the entire trip.  I have some wonderful memories to treasure.  And even though DH doesn't remember the trip or what we did, he was a part of it and still a big part of our family.  Thank you all again for your support.

Brenda

Comments

• Lynne D
    Lynne D Member Posts: 276
    100 Comments Second Anniversary

Congratulations on a successful trip! I am glad you got to have those lovely experiences with your family.

It my experience, it has taken up to weeks for my HWD to return to baseline after a trip. I hope it goes well for you!

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,408
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Oh I am so happy for you!  I’m glad it went as well as it did.  Yes, he got fatigued and over stressed at being around people and noise etc, which may have exacerbated his not knowing everyone - including you.  But you got through it and now you have memories and photos! 

I agree with Lynne too,  it may take a while for him to get back to his ‘baseline’.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,722
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    So glad for you Brenda--sounds like a really big win overall.
  • harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,364
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes
    That's a wonderful update.
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    It makes my heart glad it went well for you.
  • Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Brenda, I am so delighted for you.  Thank you for sharing; it brought me big smiles with some teary eyes.  What wonderful memories this has made for you. For your DH; what counted was his happiness in the good moments for that moment.  Wonderful.

Those who gave lovingly of themselves; that is heartfelt awesome, I am sure you let them know the joy they brought to both of you.  Your DD sounds like such a sweet and caring person, I am so glad you had her with you all of the way; she is special as is her Mom who dared and succeeded.

Big hug,

J.

• Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Brenda thank you for sharing. What wonderful memories you have! And your DH was happy and smiling, still I know it hurt for the moments he didn’t recognize you or kids. But all in all it was a blessing things went so well. Couldn’t be happier for you! God bless!
  • ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    White Crane , I am so happy for you. Bittersweet and challenging moments aside, you did it!!! And what a special time for you and your family!
  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,768
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    Wonderful news!
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    It seems this disease gives us a lot of bittersweet moments. We have to focus on the sweet part, and I'm glad you had a lot of that. Big win!
  • Buggsroo
    Buggsroo Member Posts: 573
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Brenda,

The wedding seems to have gone really well. I imagine your husband was fatigued from the excitement and activity around him. That probably led to some memory mishaps. I hope he remembers you now you are back home again. Overall, you have some lovely memories to look back on and enjoy.

• David J
    David J Member Posts: 479
    100 Comments Third Anniversary

Brenda-

Fantastic!  I am so glad everything went so well!

Dave

• Cherjer
    Cherjer Member Posts: 227
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes

You did it and no regrets!!! So proud of your courage! 

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more