Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Every day it's the same two things...

DH sundowns badly nearly every day.  It starts with,  "Well, guess I better be going"    I say where are you going?  You live here..........He says he's gotta find his mother and go home to Bridgton............I always say the farm is sold and your mother has been dead for 10 years.........I tell him we have been married for over 40 years and he lives with me...........he doesn't have any memory of our life together.........he doesn't remember his children..............will he ever get it or will this be a daily thing forever??

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,722
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    sad to say, he won't get it. You're probably better off not trying to correct him or reason with him. It's a hard lesson, but one we've all had to learn. Forgetting the current home and remembering past ones is very common. Is he on any medication for the sundowning?
  • jmlarue
    jmlarue Member Posts: 511
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes
    Once the memory is gone, it's not coming back. It's a harsh reality we all need to face. It will do you no good to engage in truth-telling about people who are dead or even your marriage. His brain is no longer able to remember, reason, or learn something new. If you intend to keep him at home rather than placement in a locked memory care facility, you'll need to find ways to secure your house so he doesn't elope. For all the delusional things, the best option is to distract and redirect the conversation. "I think your Mom wants you to stay here until she comes back." "How about we go get a cold drink and a little snack while we wait?" That sort of thing. ETA: You need to talk to his psych/neuro doctor about the sundowning behavior. Meds might help save your sanity.
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Bigfoot2you so sorry to say as the others have expressed that is the new reality. The others have given good advice. It's hard but we all learn to cope, thru trail and error sometimes. Keep posting there is a lot of wisdom out here, folks that have been down the rocky road and learned from it.
  • ElaineD
    ElaineD Member Posts: 206
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions

Dear Bigfoot,

From what I've read here, each 'stage' along the progression will pass into another stage.  Nothing lasts forever, it just seems like it.

At some point your DH will probably be nonverbal, have trouble sitting up or eating.   There will be new issues of course, but the sundowning will eventually go.

My son (a psychiatrist) keeps reminding me that this disease (dementia) only goes it one direction, relentlessly. 

We're at a much earlier stage.  now I schedule my husband's activities here in our retirement community.  He cannot schedule anything on a calendar, and I know what he likes.  BUT he makes other plans with people who ask him to do things, and he doesn't tell me.  So there is conflict and confusion.  He gets angry because he's scheduled for a painting class BUT he has agreed to play bridge at the same time.  It makes me crazy.  And I know this is minor compared to what others go through.

I have no serenity or acceptance these days.  sigh.

ElaineD

• RobertsBrown
    RobertsBrown Member Posts: 143
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

This is our house too.

Every night, right at bedtime, it's "I better go home now" or equivalent.

I first started explaining that she was home, we live here, etc.  Then one day I tried just ignoring her and moving on, and it is the solution over here.

"I have to go home now"

'yeah, I know what you mean.  I feel it too, let's go up.'

"Go up?"

'Follow me'...getting up, turning off lights.....

And she does.  She follows me upstairs, telling me the whole time she doesn't ever go up there.  I turn back the bed, and tell her it's her place where she's warm and safe, and she tells me she never lies there as she gets in, and then afer mauling her pillows for a bit she falls asleep.

It's beyond weird, but it seems to work.  I just agree with whatever she says, and then immediately move on to the next thing, and she ponies along while telling me she will not do any of it.

• Scooterr
    Scooterr Member Posts: 168
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes
    bigfoot my DW sundowns also about every night. Hers starts by looking out the bedroom window. She's looking for a little girl, and when a say little I mean a little girl that fits in the palm of your hand. She informs me, "I told the little girl I would let her stay at our house because she has no where to stay" Now this happens about every night.  This little girl she is talking about stays at the end of our property in a grove of trees where there's no houses or neighbors. Most of the time I can redirect her.. She takes Seroquel about an hour before bedtime. Sometimes it eases the sundowners sometimes it doesn't. The other night it was so bad and she was so upset I finally informed my wife, "I will just go check on the little girl." Now I try not to give in like this but I had no other choice. So I walked down to the end of the property and walked back. My wife was setting of the edge of the bed still very upset and I put my arms around her and I told her, "I had met the little girls mother down there and she was taking her home where she  would be safe and not to worry about her." Now that was a 50 to 50 shot fib, but it worked she stopped crying and laid down and within 5mins. was asleep. Will it work again who knows. Like I said I do not like going along with this type of situation this was my first time, but it worked. Will I do it again? Yelp.  Sundowners just adds pain on top of agony. I wish you the best of luck.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more