Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Dogs can't help falling in love

Ed1937
Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
NY Times. Might have a paywall. https://tinyurl.com/597deabt  

Comments

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Well; I can't help falling in love with dogs, and that special one in your avatar photo always makes me want to reach out to talk to and hug; such a beautiful dog - looks like a loving and calm shepherd.

Even though we do not have a dog of our own any longer; our son and DIL who live not far away have four rescues who come to visit now and then; lots of running through all the rooms of our house when they first arrive with lots of  yipping and yapping and then lots of wet kisses and finally settling down each asking for belly rubs except for one who wants her head and ears to be rubbed.  Geeze.  They are well behaved but four of them is a whole lot of dog.  I am just glad neither son or DIL works in a zoo; I could just see their backyard with adopted giraffes and gosh knows what else.

Hope they address me as well as the dogs when I am far into my dotage.  Perhaps I will need  to develop a wet nose, learn to pant with my tongue out, but  I do draw the line at going outside to pee in the back yard!

J.

• Faith,Hope,Love
    Faith,Hope,Love Member Posts: 191
    100 Comments 5 Likes First Anniversary
    Great article!  I miss having a dog.  My dog and I used to assist a dog trainer and we both loved doing that.  DH and I were looking to get another dog when his father passed and we inherited his cats.  I'd never had cats before so I wasn't sure what to do.  But DH taught me the ropes.  One of the cats was quite young and needed an operation.  She had to be kept quiet after the surgery, so we closed her up in a bedroom.  The vet said to keep her quiet and away from the other cats for 3 weeks.  That broke my heart.  So, I spent a lot of time with her.  When we were finally able to let her out of the bedroom, my husband said just open the door and she'll come out when she's ready.  I was surprised to hear that.  So, I walked out the door into the living room and called her.  She immediately ran out.  Then I told her to sit and she did.  My DH was flabbergasted.  He kept saying, "You can't dog train a cat".  But, that's what I had done.  I just didn't know any better.
  • Joydean
    Joydean Member Posts: 1,498
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    We have a mid size dog, only she doesn’t know she’s a dog! When I first got her dh had a fit, even though his psychiatrist thought it would be a good thing. This little rescue dog is so smart, she was a puppy, she seemed to know dh needed her. She never jumped on him, didn’t bark, she would just sit close by him. Now she did play with me and she and I had some fun. Fast forward, dh think’s it was his idea to have a dog, he is always rubbing her and taking ( the best he can) to her and giving her way too many treats! As good as she is for me, she has helped dh so much more. Dogs definitely give a lot of love.
  • KathyF1
    KathyF1 Member Posts: 104
    25 Care Reactions Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    We have 3 rescue dogs. My DH lives for them, as his Alzheimer’s progressed he became obsessed with them ( a good thing). Interesting how they give him purpose. He prides himself on how he cares for them (and feeds them incessantly unfortunately). But they make him happy. I can’t imagine what he would do without the pups.
  • LosAngeles
    LosAngeles Member Posts: 9
    Second Anniversary First Comment

We lost our beloved rescue dogs in 2016 and 2019. My LO sometimes forgets that they're not with us ans asks "where are the girls"? It was heartbreaking. "Next to my side of the bed" he'd say. Which they kind of are. He was satisfied with that answer and didn't go looking for them.

In March I adopted a small senior dog, 10 years old. I didn't mention to my LO that we were getting a dog until the day of adoption (The foster mom was wonderful and drove her to us, 1.5 hours, when I explained that I could not come to her). LO was very angry and said he didn't remember being consulted about this (which was 100% correct, but even if I had consulted him, he would have had the same fit, and would not remember come adoption day. By not consulting him I only had to deal with 1 melt down). He insisted he didn't want a dog. Within 24 hours he didn't seem to recall that she hadn't always lived here. He loves her and says "She's the best thing in this house." He sometimes thinks we have 2 dogs, that she is a cat and/or a boy dog, but in case dotes on her. For her part, she is very gentle and protective of him. She also quickly realized that under his chair is the best place to be at meal times (I don't serve him anything that would be harmful to dogs if dropped). Our daily walks with her are the highlight of his day.  

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,723
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Thanks for posting Ed, that was great.

This is picture night for me--here's my resucre boy Riley hiding in the elevator last night during a thunderstorm.

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Oh, M1; poor sweet Riley.  Our grand-dogs also fear thunder, and on the Fourth of July, they are really fearful and need lots of cuddle and closeness; one of them has to be medicated she gets so upset by the noise.

Dogs are loving beings; they do not ask much from us at all; they just want to be loved and to give love . . . and a treat now and then!

J.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    That's a good shot of Riley. Ours gets in the shower whenever it storms or there are fireworks.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more