Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Let's lighten up. Something a little different - lyrics

2»

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,726
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Great thread Ed, thank you!  And yes Vetruvius, earworms--all afternoon while I was mowing, and here they are starting again this morning.....
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Thanks to all who took part. That was fun. But I have a question. "Cecelia"-- wasn't that by the Oakridge boys? Or maybe the Statler brothers?
  • David J
    David J Member Posts: 479
    100 Comments Third Anniversary
    You put the lime in the coconut and drink it all up!
  • Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Any Johnny Mathis song just melts my heart.  “The Twelfth of Never” is my favorite.  His music takes me back to HS when we would all dress up on Saturday nights and attend dance parties in the family basement “rec room” (everybody had one).  Snacks, sodas, and we’d dance the night away.  The evening always ended with slow songs and the current couples hanging on each other.  On Mondays we would all report to our respective Catholic schools, compare notes and wait for the next weekend.  My kids and grandkids love to hear about “the old days”, but they snicker and howl with laughter all through the telling.  Poor kids- - they don’t know what they’re missing.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 wrote: "Cecelia"-- wasn't that by the Oakridge boys? Or maybe the Statler brothers?
    OK. Not the song I was thinking about. Simon and Garfunkle. Great team.

• jmlarue
    jmlarue Member Posts: 511
    100 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Likes

I love reading the personal stories of those good times of our youth. Beachfan really touched a chord with me with remembering the iconic "rec room" parties. It reminded me about how every living room was pretty much reserved for entertaining adult company. Can anyone relate to this photo? That living room was so like ours, right down to the carpet. And, yes, it did smell like cigarettes. 

• Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    Ed1937 wrote:
    Ed1937 wrote: "Cecelia"-- wasn't that by the Oakridge boys? Or maybe the Statler brothers?

The Oak Ridge Boys recorded "Elvira".
    Tonight I'm gonna meet her at the Hungry House Cafe . . .
  • Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

jm; the drapes and sheers are familiar, but at our house, the carpeting and furniture were not print; they were plain and had colored throw pillows.  The end tables and coffee table and stereo were blond wood . . .the big deal back then.  We had ceramic lamps and the TV had such a small black and white screen . . . no remote; had to get up to change a channel or to fix the "horizontal or vertical holds" which seemed to maddenly go wonky ad lib.  As I recall, naugahyde was a new and big deal too.  No permanent pressed clothes; had to sprinkle the clothing and put them in a plastic bag in the fridge and iron, iron, iron . . .

Yet; the times were simpler and most people more politely mannered, a different time altogether.  (Have to say, the music was so much better.)

J.

• abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Oh my goodness Ed!!!! I was just singing The Day My Momma Socked It To The Harper Valley PTA before I logged on and saw this! 

THANK YOU ED!

• abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    Oh M1!!!! I adore Herb Alpert! My mom had an LP. Now I have CD's.
  • Ed1937
    Stuck in the middle wrote:
    Ed1937 wrote:

The Oak Ridge Boys recorded "Elvira".
    Tonight I'm gonna meet her at the Hungry House Cafe . . .

Yep. That's the one I was thinking about. As soon as I started playing "Cecelia", I recognized it.

• Ed1937
    abc123 wrote:

Oh my goodness Ed!!!! I was just singing The Day My Momma Socked It To The Harper Valley PTA before I logged on and saw this! 

THANK YOU ED!

I think Tom T Hall wrote that, didn't he?

• Ed1937
    Let's not forget "The ode to Billy Joe".
  • GothicGremlin
    GothicGremlin Member Posts: 842
    Fifth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

The ones I remember really liking when I was a kid were:

The Blob Theme Song  (from the movie, The Blob)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AK5jyVCdXwc

Tie Me Kangaroo Down, Sport by Rolf Harris 1963
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RviuTfdfArM

and 

They're Coming to Take me Away
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Fn36l_z3WY

Did you know there's a goth version of that song?  (I hear it at goth clubs still)

They're Coming To Take Me Away by Neuroticfish
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXHLQa-FuQc

• Jo C.

When I was a kid, our neighbor was a drummer in Herb Alpert's band.  Remember the band's name?  (The Tijuana Brass.)  Boy; those were long ago days.

Gosh; the Platters, Tab Hunter, Johnny Mathis, and so many more . . . we had once a month dance at our school called, "The Friday Nighters."   Lovely sweet times that were so different from those today.  Still love the music.  My DH quite awhile ago bought me a re-mastered multiple disk collection . . .  takes me right back to those times.

Anyone remember the 60's and the group, Iron Butterfly, with "In a Gadda Da Vida?"  Times had suddenly changed and so did the music in a very big way.  Here is a link if you have not heard it . . . my kids actually laughed so hard they almost rolled on the floor when I told them about it, found it and played it for them . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwNtQB4izOQ

J.

• Ed1937
    That's a little too much for me, Jo. Although this is not that old, here's one that's about 160 degrees from that. Shirley Horn - Here's To Life (Verve Records 1992) 
  • toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Well here's some more ear wig music. 

In the jungle the mighty Jungle.

I had played that for dw the other day and just now she started singing it while waiting on breakfast.

• Jo C.

Ed; I know - pretty awful isn't it?   I could almost smell the wacky tobaccky wafting out on the musical notes.  Yet; it was popular during those days by those who were "in."  Guess I was, "out."

I do like much of Pink Floyd.  Not that long ago some of them played together again and despite their ages, it was well worth seeing and hearing.  And of course, still love much of the 50's genre as well as much classical music.  

In my ear appreciation, my ears cannot abide Rap or all that singing that happens through one's nose that seems to be fairly common.  Disharmony, electrical machinations to cover lack of talent and noise - so much noise . . . it also sometimes seems that some must be visible to be "heard" with displays of lots of shaking uncovered body parts in order to become hit makers - "personality music" and lots and lots of constant publicity by paid agents.

Oh boy; who is getting "old?"  Moi?  Guess so.

Will we ever have another Ravel, or Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Chopin, Brahms, Vivaldi, Debussy, etc. again?  I do not think so.

Also have enjoyed good stage musicals. We were fortunate to see the Broadway cast on the HUGE stage of, "The Phantom," loved it.  In fact we paid the price and got the really good seats three times.  That cast was awesome, much of the music grabbed the emotions and hung on for a long time afterward.  Such clever, talented people to bring such gifts to be enjoyed. Took the grandchildren to see the Broadway cast of,"Lion King."  They were gobsmacked entranced.  Whenever our little grand would come to visit, we always went to a live musical performance, really fun to watch them while they get caught up in the music and stage spectacle.

Sorry this got off track, music can be such a gift depending and each of us have our own preferences; none of us exactly the same just as in anything else.

J.

• Jo C.

. . . and how could we forget:

"Tutti frutti, oh rootieTutti frutti, oh rootie, oohTutti frutti, oh rootieTutti frutti, oh rootieTutti frutti, oh rootieWop bop a loo bop, ow
    Oh tutti frutti, oh rootieTutti frutti, oh rootie, oohTutti frutti, oh rootieTutti frutti, oh rootieTutti frutti, oh rootieA wop bop a loo bop a lop bom bom"

• Lills
    Lills Member Posts: 156
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Care Reactions
    Today's Ohrwurm is Hooka Tooka My Soda Cracker!!
  • Ed1937
    And then there was "Earth Angel". Or just about anything by the Platters or the McGuire sisters.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more