Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Can a person tell you they have alzheimer's, and still have anosognosia?

Ed1937
Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
I posted this on the caregiver's forum, but I know not everybody keeps up with that. Gothic Gremlin had a thread that made me think about that. Here's what I came up with. This is interesting. Can a person tell you they have alzheimer's, and still have anosognosia? I think the answer comes down to if they understand they have the symptoms they have. If their banking account always needs to be corrected, but they think they are doing just fine with it - yes, that's anosognosia. They've had several minor fender benders, and they get lost, but think they are just fine behind the wheel - yes, that's anosognosia. They started a fire in the kitchen, and had other problems cooking, but they think they're just fine - yes, that's anosognosia. So can a person tell you they have alzheimer's, and still have anosognosia? I'd say the answer is yes. Do they understand what it means to have alzheimer's? That's another question. If you don't agree, or if you do agree, please speak up. I'd like to hear it.

Comments

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,308
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Unfortunately, even professionals don't quite understand anosognosia.  That's why they never warn families about it.  It is real, and not only for PWDs. I post about anosognosia when new members complain that their LO is in "denial".  I know then that they are waiting for their LO to admit and accept and to agree to their caregiving, which won't happen.  I am attempting to alleviate their frustration by opening them up to something they never heard of before.  I hope I am doing some good.

Ed, whatever wisdom you can shed on anosognosia will be a benefit.

Iris

• Ed1937
    That's about all I have, Iris. It can make it easier on the PWD, but the caregiver often pays the price.
  • Nowhere
    Nowhere Member Posts: 272
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments

My husband knew he had memory problems, but couldn’t see it causing the difficulties in his executive reasoning. He also knew three of his siblings and dad had died with Alzheimer’s. When he’d move to the second step in a complex thinking task/problem, he’d already forgotten the prior step.  Further, he had no idea what he didn’t remember unless he was was the one wondering it at the time. He’d ask out loud, “Did I brush my teeth”? Yet, if he were setting up to feed the dog and I mentioned he’d just fed her, he’d deny it tooth and nail. It’s like he had to do the wondering to “see” his memory problem. Early in on his disease he knew he had been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s, but didn’t believe he “had it” as he’d say, “I’m standing here looking at you, talking to you, and there is nothing wrong with me”. Anosognosia was a blessing for us for many years, but each subsequent year he was increasingly stressed knowing something wasn’t right, but in his mind ,“it was not Alzheimer’s”!

Hope you’re doing okay, Ed. Take good care.

• Nancy105
    Nancy105 Member Posts: 4
    First Comment
    Nowhere… I understand.. my husband DH is very open about what’s going on… I guess it helps.. I appreciate that.. still tough
  • storycrafter
    storycrafter Member Posts: 273
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    I'd say "yes" too, Ed. My husband knows something is wrong with his brain and is aware he isn't what he used to be. He is good about taking his meds because they help him a lot. But he doesn't believe the doctor's diagnosis of FTD. He thinks he has "something that mimics it." He will not talk about his illness with me, even when encouraged to (other than what I already mentioned), so it's hard to tell what his thought process is. To me it seems it could be a degree of anosognosia, but not total.
  • mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 530
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments
    I think there's some compartmentalization that occurs.  Things they want to do are ok.  Like my spouse truly keeps asking me why I don't want him to drive and says he has been driving for 60 years and has had no accidents or tickets (not true).  OTOH, he knows his memory is going.  And he feels very grieved about it.  He almost cried trying to work the TV remote after I'd shown him at least four times and he'd written it down twice.  Guess like everyone else, we remember things the way we want to at least some of the time.  In some ways, I wish he didn't know how bad his memory is getting because I see how much it upsets him.  How does a spouse comfort a person when they realize this?
  • Ed1937
    mrahope wrote:
     I wish he didn't know how bad his memory is getting because I see how much it upsets him.  How does a spouse comfort a person when they realize this?

I think about the only thing you can do is to let him know you love him. Hold his hand, and give him kisses on the cheek. Be compassionate, and show your empathy. Of course if he gets into a depression, we know there are medications for that.

• sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 749
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions

My dh knows he has Alzheimer's, and right in the beginning he knew what that meant. Now, although he knows the word, and he knows he lives in memory care ("this place"--I don't know if he know it's for people with dementia; he says it's for "old people who don't talk very well").

We used to pass a billboard that said, "it's time to talk about Alzheimer's" and he'd say, "I hope I never get to be like that." He'll make plans for decades from now--"my dad is 95 so we still have a long time left."

I think that adds up to not really knowing about having Alzheimer's, even though he does know the word, and that he's diagnosed with it.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more