Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Question/Response I Can't Stand

John1965
John1965 Member Posts: 104
Eighth Anniversary 10 Comments
"Does she still recognize you?" .... "Well, that's good." Ugh.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Yeah, that seems to be almost automatic.
  • Nowhere
    Nowhere Member Posts: 272
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments
    I don’t like that question, either. Maybe we could answer, “I like to think so” or “Hopefully”.
  • elainechem
    elainechem Member Posts: 153
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions
    I remember in the early days, when I disclosed to someone my husband's diagnosis, I often got a pitying look and they asked if he still knew me. One time I said, "Of course he knows me. Does your husband know you?" It shut her up. People need to understand that this isn't the first sign of the disease. It generally happens far later in the disease. My hubby was close to stage 7 before he could no longer place me.
  • RobertsBrown
    RobertsBrown Member Posts: 143
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions
    It's not the fault of inexperience people asking simplistic questions they do not really want answered.  At least that's what I tell myself while I am secretly hating their guts and wanting them to catch on fire.
  • Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

It’s been so long since DH knew who I was, that the question doesn’t offend me any longer, if it ever did. (It wasn’t too long ago that I asked the same question of my friend about her father. First, I asked her if her dad was still playing golf. What was I thinking?) 

My response is a teaching moment. “No, he does not know me, the kids, the grandkids, or anyone for that matter. He doesn’t know where he is or why he’s there.”  The reactions range from shocking disbelief to extreme pity, to understanding,  and everywhere in between. My intent is not to horrify anyone, but rather to gently remind the average Joe that progressing Alzheimer’s is more than just pop pop misplacing his keys, or putting the mail in the freezer. At this point, nothing is off limits and I tell it like it is. 

• eaglemom
    eaglemom Member Posts: 524
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Its been a really long time since anyone's said that to me. Probably because my response was sharp and quick "clearly you know nothing about ALZ, let me give you the name of some books to read & then we'll chat." Yes, I was that abrupt because it made / makes me that upset when asked that question. 

No one seemed upset by my response and sadly no one asked for the name of the books. But that is on them, not on DH & I. I've seen others when asked that question simply turn around and walk off! That's a statement without saying a word.

eagle

• LilySue
    LilySue Member Posts: 37
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    I loved Beach Fan's comment to her son: "Your dad's somewhere between here and the great beyond."
  • GothicGremlin
    GothicGremlin Member Posts: 842
    Fifth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

Sometimes I get irritated by that question - it really depends on my mood at the time. I can't say that I'm particularly bothered by it anymore.

What gets me the most is this - Oftentimes, friends/family will ask me about Peggy and her Alzheimer's, and what should they read to get a better understanding. I always start with Understanding the Dementia Experience, and then assess how they reacted to it.

What irritates me the most is after I've given them info, and then they ask me a question, and I can tell they didn't read anything I sent them. After awhile, you can almost automatically tell when someone has done their homework and when they haven't. I hate that.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more