Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Hasn't been

Another Day
Another Day Member Posts: 127
100 Comments First Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,723
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Omg AD I wouldn't let that horse out of the barn.  No, he shouldn't.  But it's already happened, so now you have another dilemma about how to get it to stop.  You may need to hide keys, disconnect battery cables, even put sugar in the gas tank if you have to.  

This was the issue that incited the threats of violence that landed my partner in the hospital.  It's a very volatile one, and given the problems you've already had I'm sorry it's raised its ugly head.  Maybe you could tell him that oops, he's not insured any more?  You forgot but it's lapsed?  

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,723
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    If it were me i would definitely reach out to the classmate, explain things, and ask him not to contact you further. If you're lucky your DH  may forget. Remove any letters, invitations, calendars, etc. that might remind him.
    It's a very hard thing when you have to start being proactively protective but you are more than there.
  • JJ401
    JJ401 Member Posts: 312
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

Agree — reach out to classmate. Unless you do he’ll continue to call.

Hide the keys well. My friend’s husband, like yours, voluntarily gave up driving. Then one day took the keys, that were not hidden, and drove off while she was in the shower. Accident ensued. Luckily no one was hurt.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    If he doesn't accept it and let it go, maybe you could ask her to call or send an email saying that the reunion has been cancelled for whatever reason. I'm sure she would understand.
  • Twin Mom
    Twin Mom Member Posts: 81
    Seventh Anniversary 10 Comments
    Remote battery disconnect for the car...then just hide the remote or keep it with you.  And for what it's worth.  My husband voluntarily gave up driving at the end of 2012....and has never mentioned driving again....fast forward to this past week.  He has decided he can drive again and he would be a good driver.  I told him his license has expired and insurance will not cover him because of the dementia diagnosis (which he is aware of ) even if the drs are wrong and he doesn't have dementia the diagnosis precludes renewing his license....now we will see.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more