Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Hope this doesn't mean trouble for me.

ghphotog
ghphotog Member Posts: 667
500 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Or could it just be the stress of the day?

To DW on a photo job this morning and that we t fine. Had to take my truck in for service and ad usual had to take my DW. The dealership was very busy and nowhere to sit. We eventually found a place to sit but as soon as DW had to use the bathroom we lost our seat. No worries all is ok so far but after answering the same questions over and over and every few minutes I say we have to wait for my truck. After 3 hours I'm starting to get a little impatient, annoyed I guess, and I'm getting a little short with my wife and she starts crying. People are probably wondering what kind of mean person I must be to make her cry in waiting area.

My truck is finally ready but the bill is higher by 300.00 than what was quoted. They tell me something about the estimate not including parts just labor yada yada. I had to spend almost an hour working that out. I go to pay and my cards are declined without any reason. I have a 30,000 credit limit and zero balance. I whip out my debit card but it it kept saying I entered the wrong pin. No way!? Stop by my bank and raise a little hell but all they can do is give me some 800 numbers to call. So I do. All they can tell me is the "algorithm" flagged my account for reasons unknown to the person I was talking to. They unlocked it, now on to debit card that also needed to be unlocked. The reason, the pin was incorrect three times.

Then I realized that pin was for another card. 😁. Was it just stress or am I in trouble to?

Comments

• gampiano
    gampiano Member Posts: 329
    Third Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

hello,

It sounds like you had an exhausting, stressful, long day! And, as we know, even when things seem to be going smoothly, our caregiver radar is always on high alert whether we realize it or not. What happened to you today could happen to any one of us. As a very kind clerk an the DMV said to me recently when I was getting frazzled,"you are thinking for 2 people every minute of the day". How true! Im glad the problem was resolved, and admire your endurance. Hopefully you will be able to kick back a little tonight.

Maureen

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Sounds like stress to me. After 3 hours waiting with a PWD has to be stressful. I used the wrong password 3 times on my laptop yesterday. Thankfully it wasn't locked when I realized it.

• SDianeL
    SDianeL Member Posts: 887
    500 Care Reactions 250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions

I bet it's stress. I went to the ATM the other day to get money out like I've done many times and couldn't remember my pin! I started to panic. Then I realized I was tense and clenching my fists. I immediately relaxed, did some deep breathing, and voila! I remembered the pin. Do you have a caregiver you can leave her with or a day care where she can go while you run errands? It's stressful on her too. 😓

• Gthoma
    Gthoma Member Posts: 33
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Sounds like stress to me too. It's super difficult to take PWD to work or to shopping or especially if it involves lots of waiting. Don't put it all on you. She needs you for the long haul. People above have good suggestions for possible alternatives.

• Just Bill
    Just Bill Member Posts: 315
    100 Care Reactions 100 Comments Second Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I am noticing I'm fumbling more. Dropping and spilling more often. I was hard on myself calling myself a clumsy fumble fingered oaf ever time I dump a coffee in my car. I stopped with the negative self talk and just breath ever time it happens now. My wife is going through a hyperactive phase where she just cannot sit still. After begging her to relax a few hundred times I just give up and let her go as long as she is relatively safe. At golf she gets out and wanders every time I leave the cart. At work she gets up and wanders. Today when we were walking the dog I turn around every 10 or so seconds to make sure she is still there. I was distracted for more than 10 seconds and when I turned around to check on her she is across the street. Small residential street but still a street. I think I am on vigilance over load and no brain cells left for auto pilot simple tasks. Probably normal for someone who is on caregiver burn out.

• tigersmom
    tigersmom Member Posts: 196
    100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited July 2023

It's not you. That experience would be enough to frazzle anyone, even without a a three-hour wait with a PWD. A month or so ago, I entered the pin for my debit card several times at the ATM at my local bank and it refused to give me money. I got angry and took the card to a teller. "This card won't give me any money!" I exclaimed, indignant. "Ma'am," said the teller, "that's a credit card." Oops.

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,406
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Stress. You knew you needed a pin, and just entered the wrong one. Eventually remembering the correct one. Having to have different codes/passwords for different things makes it easier to mix up.

There’s a meme somewhere that describes forgetting things versus dementia. I remember this one: Forgetting where you put down your keys coming in carrying groceries: normal… forgetting why you have keys or what they are: not normal.

• Denise1847
    Denise1847 Member Posts: 836
    250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

I sure appreciate reading all of your posts about the stress and worry about whether you are in trouble. We went to the movies the other day. I ordered a soda for my DH, and the clerk gives me a cup and top. I go to the soda machine and get the soda, then I go back to the clerk to ask her for a top, WHICH IS IN MY HAND.

My mind is chronically tired, I had to be checked out for heart issues and I am physically tired all of the time. My heart is fine.

Someone said that we have to think for 2 people and that is soooo true. Also, I have to constantly do damage control. For me, it is the stress of not knowing what is next, the daily unending cycle and feeling of this is never going to end. God bless you all for your courage and resilence. I wish you could bottle that as I would be first in line.

• ThisLife
    ThisLife Member Posts: 254
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Denise1847, your post sums up my life. The need to think for two people one whose actions have no logic. Being physically and mentally tired. And damage control! Get up the next day and repeat. Thank you and everyone else for sharing.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,013
    250 Likes 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions

Denise, I’m glad I’m not the only one who does things like that. I feel like I’m worried constantly about DH and trying to make things as good as is possible. That stress and worry seems to crowd out everything else.

• mommafour
    mommafour Member Posts: 82
    Seventh Anniversary 25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

Denise - "...the stress of not knowing what is next, the daily unending cycle and feeling of this is never going to end."

That's me. Every minute of the day. Some days I can't even function to think straight at work, wondering what DH's mood will be when I get home at the end of the day.

I can understand why we are all sensitive to our own forgetfulness. I'm glad I'm not alone with these issues.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more