Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

MC doesn't always bring respite

My H went to memory care 9/1. He is fixated on going home and does not understand why he can't. Serious anosognosia. DR said he should not be left alone and should not walk the dogs alone. He is participating in and enjoying the activities. He is in pics and videos on their FB page.

The problem is he is infatuated with a female resident. She has no awareness of what is going on. He tries to get her into one of their rooms. He has been aggressive with staff who have tried to get him to leave her room or remove her from his room. He shoved staff out of the room and locked the door. (Rooms can be electronically opened by staff.) The female resident's family has noticed him being aggressive with her, and staff are trying to keep them apart. The female staff are afraid of him. A couple of staff are able to redirect him but are not there every day.

NP and MC Director met with him Monday. They have decided to up his Celexa from 10 mg to 20mg and twice a day instead of just once. The NP will see him again on Thursday. The psychiatrist will be there on the 16th. If he gets aggressive again and won't calm down, he will be transported to the hospital due to mental instability.

So, I have to make sure I have my phone on me at all times and cancel my sleep do not disturb on my phone. Good times. But at least I don't have him here with me walking on eggshells, allowing him to do the things doctor said he should not do.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,716
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

So sorry ThisLife. Agree that MC does not bring any end to the worry and stress. It may well take something stronger than Celexa to tamp down the aggression. Thank goodness the 16th is only a week away. Keep us posted.

• Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 682
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary

ThisLife, so sorry you're having to deal with this. I'm in a similar situation, although DH's aggression was kicking his roommate out of the room. So now he is in a private room instead of a shared one... $$$$. You'd think his aggression would stop without a roommate. NooooO, he's latched onto another thing to be combative about!! He won't let staff change his soiled diapers and would kick and push them away. One staff fell and got bruised up. Police came but de-escalated by telling staff to leave him alone for the night. Today, he met with his new doctor. I hope we find the right medication(s) soon.

• toolbeltexpert
    toolbeltexpert Member Posts: 1,583
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Thislife I get the no respite I took a short trip to Maine last week and was there 2 days and got a call that my dw was bleeding and couldn't move her legs. Turned out to be a nose bleed, they were going to send her to the hospital though.

I also have a do not disturb on my phone and figured out how to let calls from the memory care come thru. Go to that contact and make them a favorite and it will still ring. I have a samsung android. I hope you can get his meds figured out.

Stewart

• ThisLife
    ThisLife Member Posts: 254
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Thank you all for your kind replies. I know all of you have had your challenges with placement. It will probably take more than Celexa; I think it's a quick way to start. I agree yeah for psychiatrist next week. He has a virtual VA PCP visit that morning, too. Dio, I think my H will find other things to be angry about. That really wasn't his personality before Alzheimer's. toolbeltexpert, I was going to just let the facility number through, but they don't just call from one number, and some call using their personal cell phones. I don't really get calls at night. Just text messages. I'll just change text notifications to silent. Friends out West forget the time difference. lol

I'll keep you posted. Now I'm off to get my computer fixed. Arrrgh

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney