Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Alzheimer's or severe PTSD

Hi, Not sure if my wife is getting Alzheimer's or what I know her Grandmother had it. She comes up with delusional thoughts that my parents hate her and conspired with her daughter to ruin her through Tik Tok and just makes up things that are not true. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 805
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

With my husband, we didn't get the paranoia and delusions managed until he was on meds. You can't reason with your wife if her "reasoner" is broken. Are you able to get her to see a doctor? It's going to take a neurologist and/or geri-psychologist to get her on the right medications.

I'm sorry you and your wife are going through this.

• AmishDrifter
    AmishDrifter Member Posts: 3
    First Comment

Hello, She does not think there is anything wrong with her and get's extremely upset with me if I try to say anything. Now she is saying If I talk to my parents it's over between us. Don't know what to do.

• AmishDrifter
    AmishDrifter Member Posts: 3
    First Comment

She thinks if I talk to my parents I am disrespecting her and not standing up for her. Sad

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,715
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

welcome to the forum. Your instincts are probably right, it's probably Alzheimer's: but there are a number of treatable medical conditions that need to be ruled out. One strategy a lot of folks here have used is to tell her an annual visit to a doctor is required or she will lose her insurance. Then, you should give the doctor a detailed description of your concerns and her behaviors before the visit--probably in writing. Medications can definitely help, these are not things (especially the paranoia) that can be handled without meds, typically.

You need to also be sure you have medical and financial power of attorney for her. this can be done through a certified elder law attorney (look at nelf.org).

• Jeanne C.
    Jeanne C. Member Posts: 805
    500 Comments 250 Care Reactions 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Unfortunately, she may have anosognosia- basically it's not denial - she truly cannot see that she has impairment because of her illness. Sometimes a therapeutic lie (aka fiblet) is needed. Maybe schedule an appointment for her, give a note to the doctor in advance detailing what you're seeing (make sure they know she is resistant), and then get her to go to the appointment by telling her it's mandatory for insurance. I know it's hard and it feels awful to lie, but you're doing it for her health and safety.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Get her in to see the doctor because she needs to be seen or she will lose her insurance, typically Medicare. You can tell her you think it's BS, but you already had to do it to keep yours intact. Make her think you agree with her, but there's nothing that you can do about it.

"but there are a number of treatable medical conditions that need to be ruled out." It needs to be treated ASAP if there is a reversible problem. If you wait too long, the treatment may do no good. It may not be a treatable condition, but the stakes are too high not to pursue it.

• mrahope
    mrahope Member Posts: 527
    Fourth Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

I completely agree with the above. FWIW, if you are of Medicare age, there is an "annual Medicare Wellness visit" that you can tell her is free and without it, she might lose her Medicare coverage. Just my .02

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more