Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

today's delusion

l7pla1w2
l7pla1w2 Member Posts: 174
100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

So, recently DW has been talking about how I've been away and she has lived alone for a long time. Today that switched(?), and she told me she had gone away. At first it sounded like she meant she had gone away for many days, but it morphed into just today. She didn't know where, why, or how she went away. She said there was nothing to do there, no one around, and nowhere to eat. She says it was a waste of time and doesn't know why she bothered.

Sometimes, as an intellectual exercise, I try to interpret where these delusions come from. For example, I've persuaded her to go to a day program a couple of days a week. I think she enjoys it, but later she says she doesn't want to go back. But there were things to do there, other people around, including wonderful staff, and things to eat. Might she be commenting on that? (That's a rhetorical question, unanswerable.)

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Delusions and confusion can often be brought on by a UTI, unless it is progression. Have these thoughts been something that abruptly started? If not, medication might help.

• Dogsaremylife
    Dogsaremylife Member Posts: 46
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

First, your wife is so very lucky to have you. The comfort you must bring her is truly a blessing, even if she may not appear to recognize it. At what stage is she currently and how long has it been since her diagnosis? I ask because my DH has just entered Stage 7 and he has never had delusions to speak of until just recently. I have found that the thing that snaps him out of a delusion is massage. I have a big jar of cream with a pleasant scent that he likes and I slowly massage it into his arms and hands. I know it doesn't sound like much, but it seems to bring him pleasure and keeps him somewhat grounded. The day program sounds like a wonderful place for your wife, mostly because it brings her variety and stimulation, not to mention the comfort of others like her. Blessings to you and your wife!!

• l7pla1w2

Thanks. I think she's Stage 4/5.

The day program is good for her and good for me. I'm still getting used to having a couple of free hours.

• Sunnyside42
    Sunnyside42 Member Posts: 42
    25 Care Reactions 10 Comments Second Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions

My DH was diagnosed 4 years ago. 6 months ago he started in a wonderful Day Club one day a week from 9 to 2 p.m. Those 5 hours of freedom are wonderful. I can swim, shop or do nothing. They do a variety of activities including guessing games which he finds boring if it involves cultural knowledge. He is from another country so doesn’t have the background/knowledge of old TV and game shows etc. But mainly he likes the people and atmosphere, so it is definitely a win-win.

When WH was exhibiting symptoms early on, he would comment when we were at a restaurant where we had never been that he remembered being there and the same people sitting at the next table were there at that time. This happened frequently, or a movie on TV he thought he watched before. I think these fabrications are part of the Alzheimer brain and I am not sure if there is any rhyme nor reason.

Glad you found some respite.

• gbriggs
    gbriggs Member Posts: 11
    First Comment

My siblings and I are also dealing with our mother's delusions. We clearly are able to weave some of her reality in her delusions. Feelings she has had of others and even things we may tell her seem to morph into this reoccuring delusion. So sorry this is happening to your loved one. Beautiful that you are there for her. Please take good care of yourself.

• l7pla1w2

My DW doesn't like games that require recall, because... well, she can't.

• ThisLife
    ThisLife Member Posts: 254
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

My H in MC care says there is nothing to do there. He can't remember something that happened a few minutes ago. I have pics and videos from the facility where he is engaged and smiling. I say he is having fun. He just doesn't know it.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more