Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

The End of Alzheimer's

Comments

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,005
    500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

A quick Google search on the Bredesen protocol brought up this link from 2018. I don’t have time to dig further, but perhaps it will take you to something current. https://forums.apoe4.info/viewtopic.php?t=4523

• subversivevegan
    subversivevegan Member Posts: 29
    25 Likes 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions

Not much in the way of science behind it:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7377549/

• FMK
    FMK Member Posts: 3
    First Comment First Anniversary

Hello Eli365,

I am not familiar with the book nor the author. If you are concerned about your husband's cognitive health, the best and most important thing you can do is to get him to have a medical evaluation and get a diagnosis. There are numerous kinds of dementia and some illnesses look like dementia, but they actually are not and can be addressed theraputically. Get a diagnosis and move toward treatment. Self-diagnosis is not the way to go.

I hope the best for you and your husband!

FMK

• eli395
    eli395 Member Posts: 29
    10 Comments

Awesome ImMaggieMae🌟

thank you

much appreciated.

🦋

• eli395
    10 Comments

Thank you FMK🌟

good advice. he doesn't want mi to tell anyone and i m so glad that i found here for support. Thank you. it is possible he has vascular dementia. he also has been diagnosed with COPD/emphysema and has heart disease, stent(s).
    thank you for replying

🦋

• trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 387
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

https://order.nia.nih.gov/sites/default/files/2024-03/caring-for-a-Person-with-alzheimers-disease.pdf

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

@M5M I shared this document that I had run across. It is 67 pages, so I hesitated to call it a "booklet", but that is the format and it seems to be a thorough overview, with information I would have found helpful in the early stages — and even now, in review. Maybe this is what you are referring to?

https://order.nia.nih.gov/sites/default/files/2024-03/caring-for-a-Person-with-alzheimers-disease.pdf

• eli395
    10 Comments

Thank you trottingalong.

i m going there to read now.

🦋

• eli395
    10 Comments

and thank you ButterflyWings.

much appreciated.

🦋

• eli395
    10 Comments

Thank you all. reading a lot and i appreciate your comments.

Eli🦋

• eli395
    10 Comments

Thank you jfkoc et al

i have bought $$ a KetoMojo GK+ glucose/Ketone meter and 2 books by Bredesen (one used). I don't have the $$ to spend.

I wish he had a cookbook, I'd buy that. And it would be good to have lab tests.

But, unless my DH wants to spend big bucks to join The Club, that's not gonna happen.

thanks all for the comments.

Eli🦋

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

There are lots of Alzheimer's cookbooks.

• eli395
    10 Comments
    edited April 13

Thank you for your reply.

i don't know much about the keto diet but the Bredesen KetoFlex 12/3 program doesn't seem to be straight-forward keto diet. It's tweaked. My hubby was excited cuz he thought the keto was all about animal foods, bacon, burgers, cheeses, eggs. So far that's not what i m learning. 6 to 9 cups non-starchy vegetables, part raw part cooked.

I found a "Kitchen" section on the Bredesen website with archived recipes and i will start there. Still hoping that he'll put out a cookbook or maybe a starter 30-day menu. I love to cook but i m still not sure what foods.

🌟🙏🏼🌟

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,749
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited April 13

eli…google for some recipies…please check with your husbands Dr before starting anything new

• MaryKiser
    MaryKiser Member Posts: 2
    First Comment

my husband was diagnosed a few months ago but seems to have suffered for years and hid the symptoms as per the doctor. I am very sad And I plan to try to keep him home with help. Does anyone do that?

• eli395
    10 Comments

Hi Mary🌷

i am new to this too.

🌟🙏🏼🌟

• eli395
    10 Comments

thank you🌟

• eli395
    10 Comments

thank you🌷

• Lane Simonian
    Lane Simonian Member Posts: 348
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    edited April 13

Dr. Bredesen is correct on some important general points if not always on the specifics. He is correct to note that there are many causes for Alzheimer's disease. Some of which he identifies may not be causes and he may not identify others that are causes. Genetics, environmental toxins, pyschological stress, genetic mutations and variants, an unhealthy diet (high in sugar and other carbohydrates, sodium, saturated fat, high fructose corn syrup, processed meat, etc.), lifestyle (heavy smoking and heavy drinking, for example), chronic bacterial, viral, and fungal infections, and brain injuires are just some of the many factors that can lead to Alzheimer's disease. It may be expensive and not necessarily fruitful to try to identify specific causes as there are often multiple factors that trigger the disease.

Many but not all the treatments, Dr. Bredesen identifies are antioxidants. But not all antioxidants are equally effective due to lack absorption into the brain or weak activity among others. I think two of the most effective treatments for the treatment of Alzheimer's disease are panax ginseng and aromatherapy. The first contains multiple antioxidants, including saponins (ginsenosides), polysaccharides, and polyphenols. These compounds help reverse at least some of the damage done to the brain by oxidation and nitration and can potentially help stabilize mild alzheimer's disease for two years.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10310864/#:~:text=Panax%20ginseng%20has%20been%20used,in%20treating%20AD%20and%20VaD.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3659550/

Aromatherapy with essential oils high in antioxidants such as eugenol can almost directly enter the hippocampus ( a region of the brain heavily damaged in Alzheimer's disease). Directly inhaling stimulating essential oils such as rosemary and bay laurel for a few seconds each day under each nostril can lead to improvement in certain forms of memory and behavior (object recognition, better sense of time and place, fewer delusions, greater alertness and awareness). Direct inhalation of relaxing essential oils (such as lavender, sweet orange, and lemon balm) at night can improve sleep.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/j.1479-8301.2009.00299.x

https://assets.researchsquare.com/files/rs-1392290/v1/f79b84f0-ba44-49fd-ace1-57fbb9eac13d.pdf?c=1652156064

Most of the links are not working. Cut and paste into your broswer if possible.

I have been trying to find researchers to undertake a clinical trial using panax ginseng and aromatherapy to treat Alzheimer's disease for quite a while now. Rarely, I find researchers who have an interest in such a trial, but have not been able to move forward. I still believe based on the limited studies so far that this combination represents one of the best opportunities to largely stop early stage Alzheimer's disease in its tracks.

• ImMaggieMae
    ImMaggieMae Member Posts: 1,005
    500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

I do. There are actually quite a few of us, but most don’t post here often. We still keep in touch.

• MaryKiser
    MaryKiser Member Posts: 2
    First Comment

how are you doing? Do you have help come in? What do you do for emotional support if you don’t post often?

• trottingalong
    trottingalong Member Posts: 387
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments

you bring up a great question. It’s buried in this thread though. I suggest you start an entirely new post and I bet you get multiple responses. I would love to hear from others as well.

• eli395
    10 Comments

Thank so much Lane! Awesome reply & specifics. He's early cuz he asked me to research it. I gave him some Frankincense EO to dot on his temples daily. we're looking into a modified Keto diet. I bought the glucose/ketone meter to try. We started doing Luminosity brain games app and they r really fun. Thank you.

Eli

• Lane Simonian
    Lane Simonian Member Posts: 348
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

You are welcome, Eli. Keep us posted. Hopefully, you will some positive results. Best wishes to you and your husband.

• eli395
    10 Comments

and wishes, prayers & hugs to you

🦋

• eli395
    10 Comments

Thank you imMaggieMae.

i'll follow the link.

we r sending away the 23andme on Monday to check on DHs genes.

🦋

• eli395
    10 Comments

Thank you. Which doc shall i consult?

General? Skin? Cardiologist? Pulmonary? Functional? Integrated? OD? Brain/spine/neurologist? Chiropractor? argh

Too many doctors with so little time.

i have done some searching on the Internet for recipes with some success. (i don't "goggle") However, Bredesen's protocol is specifically fine-tuned with explanations of why & why nots. For example, stay away from tuna cuz of mercury. Wild caught salmon is okay. No coconut if you have ApoE4 gene. etc.

Sifting thru

much appreciated🌟

🦋

• eli395
    10 Comments

Thank you for your reply, T. Slothrop.

How long were you on the Bredesen protocol?

🦋

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney