Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

I'm moving to the new house in two weeks. Feeling lonely but grateful

White Crane
White Crane Member Posts: 849
Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes

It's been awhile since I posted an update. I continue to spend down our life savings so DH can qualify for Medicaid. My new house is almost ready to move into. The interior has been completely re-painted and the new carpet is being installed. Friends from church and my sister have been over here at the old house almost every day helping me pack. My house is filling up with boxes! After 52 years, the old house is full. Getting rid of treasures is hard but must be done. The four kids and five grandkids have gotten most of what they want so the rest is going to be sold or donated. Sigh. When I look around at the now bare walls, I feel very lonely and sad. This isn't the future I envisioned for us in our old age. The loneliness hurts so badly sometimes it is like a physical pain. And the sadness never completely leaves. Oh, I am laughing with friends at times but inside the tear in my heart always aches. As for DH, he is unaware of any of this. He seems to be adjusting better to being in MC. He has bronchitis right now and has lost nine pounds in the last month. I have had to call the facility and request he be seen by the doctor. They finally did an x-ray of his lungs and they are clear so no pneumonia. When I visited him on Sunday, he was still coughing but in good spirits. I miss him so much! When I visit, it feels so good to have him hug me and tell me he loves me. He is still the love of my life. Our bed feels so empty without him. Thankfully, I have been getting so exhausted from packing during the day that I have been sleeping pretty good.

Brenda

Comments

• Dio
    Dio Member Posts: 681
    500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes Second Anniversary

I am right behind you, Brenda and M1. Looking for a smaller place closer to DH's MCF so there's less driving. I have to think/plan for the future, when I'm not as physically strong. Also, I believe a new environment will do me good. Some of the horrors I went through in the current house during this LBD journey is still too much to bear. I don't know what the future holds, but I know I need to take care of myself. Looking forward to new beginnings. It's just another bend in the road of this so called life.

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

(((White Crane))) You are amazing. I envy you all that you have accomplished! But am also happy, proud, and cheering you on at the same time. Your feelings are so eloquently described and we understand. Really, truly. Your DH is getting the best round the clock care that he needs right now, thanks to you. So sweet that you are getting hugs and hearing that he loves you. That is priceless. I pray the new home brings new peace, and joy, and healing to you.

• Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Brenda,

I hope your new home serves you well; you agonized for so long about how to proceed with your own life while your DH was slipping away. I can empathize; I’ve been there. I have been in my “downsized” home almost 7 1/2 years now. While DH was still here, although oblivious to me and his surroundings, I could devote time to his caregiving without the worry of a large home and all its trappings. Now, he is gone, but I am settled, happy, and at peace with my life and my decisions. You will get there, I promise. Enjoy DH as his wife and loving companion and take one day at a time as you move forward. Blessings!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more