Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Not quite a fit but hoping…

Seeker Karen
Seeker Karen Member Posts: 3
5 Care Reactions First Comment

Hi everyone, I am new to the site and looking for a fit. I have recently retired, about 4 years earlier than expected because of my DH’s difficulties. We are much older than most of you, I am 71 and he is 79, but he was diagnosed with mild dementia in early March and I have watched him having difficulties dealing with the whole thing. Because I retired early I need to continue working part time and I am able to do so but I must travel throughout the state. So far he travels with me without incident. He is still able to drive but has difficulties with getting confused and directions so he only drives when the way is clear and there are few decisions to make.

When I am working he sleeps most of the day. I’m not sure how much is due to dementia and how much to other causes. He doesn’t seem to be depressed and he likes traveling with me so far. Going to lunch or dinner wears him out so we often get groceries and eat in the room. Is everyone okay with me joining and continuing with this group? I haven’t seen anything else that fits my circumstances except all of you younger people.

Comments

• Lgb35
    Lgb35 Member Posts: 93
    25 Likes 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments First Anniversary

you are absolutely welcome! Sorry you need to though. I will share what I have heard many times in the chats. If he is confused when driving he probably shouldn’t be driving anymore. It puts one more thing on your shoulders but piece of mind knowing he can’t cause an accident is worth it.

we are always here for you

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney