Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Recently diagnosed with Vascular Dementia HELP

tlmead
tlmead Member Posts: 2
First Comment

Im so glad I've found this group.

I'll be 62 next month. Three months ago I found out I have vascular dementia. The Doctor put me on Aricept and that's thatall. Now I worry all of the time, cry, get angry, cry some more and try to figure out how to just DO NOTHING….

I love my life, the thought of giving it up is unbearable. I want to prepare myself and my family for what's GOING to happen. But how. I can't stop thinking….

Comments

• OutofstateCrgvrDPOA
    OutofstateCrgvrDPOA Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 1
    First Comment
    Do you have access to a family therapist or counselor? This could be an option. They can help inform your family and you can share what your expectations are for your care if or when you cannot advocate for yourself. a therapist or counselor can also help you with Advance Directives, POA, and perhaps a will depending on the state that you live. If you want I can see what free/pro-bono professionals in your area are available with your zip code. I am so sorry you're going through this, no one deserves this. My mother has early vascular dementia. Be sure to follow up with your PCP for regular sleep studies.

Looking forward to finding some resources in this thread with your zip code.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more