Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Memory is not the problem

H1235
H1235 Member Posts: 498
100 Likes 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions
edited September 21 in Social Groups

My MIL had Alzheimer’s and was almost blissfully unaware of her situation. She forgot about bills, her personal belongings that didn’t fit in her AL apartment, didn’t recognize her own Christmas decorations when brought to her. Every day was a new day. My mom on the other hand has vascular dementia. I sometimes think her memory is better than mine. The problem is her logic, planning, organizing and of course anosognosia. She thinks she can push a lawn mower because she can push her walker. She tires very easily, but wants us to drive her to her house so she can pull weeds in her garden (at a house that no one has lived in for the last year and a half). She remembers everything she has lost and all the things she used to be able to do but can’t. And in many cases she has no understanding why she can’t do these things anymore. I have received many suggestions to change the subject or just tell her I will take her next week. These don’t work since her memory is still so good she would be waiting by the door for me. Are any of you dealing with similar issues. The lack of memory issues is so unlike what others here are experiencing.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more