Hiring home aid
Hi, just joined. Slowly navigating taking care of my mom and making sure I'm taking moments for myself without guilt. I've been taking care of my 75yr mother with Lewy Body, she lives alone about an hour away and I'm looking to hire a home aid, for her companionship. I don't always have the mental/emotional mindset to do fun things with her especially if she is having a moment. The home aid will be able to take her out while I'm at work and allow me some breathing room to maintain the house. While looking for aids, there are just soo many questions and when one question is answered, more pop up. I decided on solo care instead of an agency, but then I read depending on how much they make I may have to give them a W2 and all the deductions that entails! We have to pay out of pocket because my mom is on Medicare and she has "too many" assets (a house, a pension, s.s) to get Medicaid . Does anyone have experience with out of pocket home help and taxes? Sorry if this is long, its such a relief that there are resources out here. Much appreciated
Commonly Used Abbreviations
DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more
Categories
- All Categories
- 699 Living With Alzheimer's or Dementia
- 403 I Am Living With Alzheimer's or Other Dementia
- 296 I Am Living With Younger Onset Alzheimer's
- 19K Supporting Someone Living with Dementia
- 5.9K I Am a Caregiver (General Topics)
- 9.3K Caring For a Spouse or Partner
- 3.4K Caring for a Parent
- 248 Caring Long Distance
- 207 Supporting Those Who Have Lost Someone
- 13 Discusiones en Español
- 1 Vivir con Alzheimer u Otra Demencia
- 1 Vivo con Alzheimer u Otra Demencia
- Vivo con Alzheimer de Inicio Más Joven
- 12 Prestación de Cuidado
- 3 Soy Cuidador (Temas Generales)
- 8 Cuidar de un Padre
- 23 ALZConnected Resources