Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Happy? New Year

It's that time of year again when everyone you see wishes you a Happy New Year. Maybe I'm just old and jaded but I see nothing happy about the coming year. I started keeping a journal last Jan. and looking back reading my past journal posts and seeing his decline over the past year just makes me sad. So I'm sure the coming year will just continue it's downhill slide.

Bitter, party of one.

Comments

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Right there with you, M1.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,716
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Always good to hear from you Jeff.

• loveskitties
    loveskitties Member Posts: 1,073
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Wishing each of you the strength to carry on and some moments of peace as you do what is needed for your LO.

• Kevcoy
    Kevcoy Member Posts: 129
    Fourth Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 10 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions

So many thoughtful and loving comments today. It is nice to know we are not alone and people care and have such thoughtful words to pass along. It hit me like a freight train reading Shark guys comments about traditions and keeping some of them alive that it was 24 years ago tonight I met my LO at a New Years Eve party in Denver. I must have blocked that out with everything that is going on. So I'm going to spend some time today relaxing and thinking about past NYE's with a smile on my face.

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

The new year will be the same as the past year only tougher in someway yet to be revealed, of this I am sure. I completely understand and empathize with everyone’s comments. I hope we all find some peace in the year ahead.

• Mimi50
    Mimi50 Member Posts: 139
    100 Comments 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions

It is really hard to watch them decline. My husband was diagnosed year ago. Stage 1 Vascular Dementia and his decline has been slow. But it is happening.

• Mimi50

I wish all of our loved ones the same. It has been year since my husband has been diagnosed. I really didn’t think that I was sad about our changes in the last year. He is still at stage one. He can still pay bills and take care of needs. The loneliness that I feel is much worse. Those long talks and plans for the future. Are not happening anymore.

• Mimi50

My Grandma died in 2020 at 98. She used to pray everyday for the good Lord. To just take her. He finally did she died peacefully in her sleep about 4 years ago.

• Mimi50

Chronic sorrow syndrome. Is what they call it. Where the grieving is cyclical. It comes in waves might be song. Or sometimes your LO birthday. It is very common in caregivers that are caring for LO that have dementia.

• ????
    ???? Member Posts: 24
    Second Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Care Reactions

I just told a friend that I cannot get wrapped up with Happy New Year. I know that this next year my wife will continue to decline, and the year will not be better. All I hope fore is that we can have a few Happy times throughout the year.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more