Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Upcoming PBS Show--- Dementia Murder Mystery

Cynbar
Cynbar Member Posts: 539
500 Comments Third Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions
Just saw that there is a new movie scheduled for PBS on Sunday, 1/3 at 9 pm (at least in our area.) It's titled "Elizabeth is Missing," about a woman with dementia who is convinced that her best friend has disappeared. Glenda Jackson is the star, and our Boston Globe gave it an excellent review. Apparently it's a murder mystery/whodunit as well as a story of a woman losing herself and her frantic family. I'm passing this along in case anyone is interested (I'll be watching at least on DVR.)

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    We saw the ad for this last night too, but my partner did not pick up on the fact that it's a dementia story too. I'm fearful it will upset her and though we're usually big Masterpiece fans I'm not sure this is one we'll watch together. Though she usually falls asleep when she can't follow the plots. Glenda Jackson is amazing as always
  • ElaineD
    ElaineD Member Posts: 206
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions

I read the novel, and it was very very good.  The entire book is written from the standpoint of someone in fairly early dementia.

A very clever mystery story, as well.

I will look for it on PBS right now, to bookmark it for later.

Thanks, ElaineD

• CStrope
    CStrope Member Posts: 487
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    Maybe I can find a time to watch this alone, I'm pretty sure DH won't  watch it.  He won't even watch "This Is Us" anymore, since one of the main characters is starting to have memory issues.  I think it all hits a little too close to home.
  • Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    This movie will play on Saturday, January 9th at 6 pm PT on KCET in the Los Angeles area.
  • JJ401
    JJ401 Member Posts: 312
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

Thank you for posting this. I missed the original time, but my local PBS repeated it at 1am so I recorded it.

CStrope, regarding 'This is Us'. My DH won't watch it either, but not because of the character with Alzheimer's. He won't watch anything that goes back and forth in time. Its just too confusing for him. He can't keep the story straight.

• Cynbar
    Cynbar Member Posts: 539
    500 Comments Third Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    I saw it last night, and thought it was a pretty accurate portrayal of the pain of slipping into Alzheimer's, and the frustration families feel. I watched it by myself, however, and won't share it with my DH. It would upset him, for sure.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more