Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

What Difference Does It Make

My 74 yo husband has been diagnosed with MCI.  They are now in the process of trying to define the type of dementia.  They also found stenosis of the vertebral artery.  I guess my question is what difference will it make to put a label on the type of dementia?  Isn't the end result the same?  I was angry that 2020 put a hold on things we wanted to do, especially at our age but 2021 doesn't hold much hope for a future for us.

Comments

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,754
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

While much is the same regarding dementia whether caused by thyroid, LBD, Parkinson's, VAor AD the paths can be somewhat different and the drugs are slightly different.

The care you will be giving is not very different. You will still need to master  caregiving 101.

• Wyoaviator
    Wyoaviator Member Posts: 11
    Second Anniversary First Comment

I think anyone who has been down this road will concur with Army Vet.

I watched DW go "off the deep end" eight days after the Neuro Psych prescribed something to clear up the auditory hallucinations. She wound up attacking others in the facility, attempting to hurt herself, etc. She ended up spending six weeks in another state in Geriatric Psych getting her meds cleaned up. The ironic thing is that no one can say definitively what it is until the disease runs its course. YOU have the best idea of what it is based on your observations. Be ready to question the docs closely when they get ready to make a change to her meds.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more