Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

cost to get medicaid planning from Elder Care lawyer

We have worked with him before for our wills, poa's etc. now I am looking down the road in case DH needs a nursing home.  I was quoted 15,000$ for as long as needed with no other costs down the road regardless of time frame.  this sounds like a lot but considering a year in MC it might not be unreasonable.  any thoughts for those already gone thru this planning.

Comments

• BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 838
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions
    I had a no-cost consultation. Many will do the initial consult free of charge, and give you an estimate at that time. If I were told $15,000, I would get a second opinion, as I think that is high.
  • Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions
    newbloomer wrote:
    We have worked with him before for our wills, poa's etc. now I am looking down the road in case DH needs a nursing home.  I was quoted 15,000$ for as long as needed with no other costs down the road regardless of time frame.  this sounds like a lot but considering a year in MC it might not be unreasonable.  any thoughts for those already gone thru this planning.

Someone has the cart and horse backwards. A good elder care lawyer builds the retirement/legal/estate plan around the possible need for Medicaid.  

If you have assets beyond your house in excess of a million dollars.  Qualifying for medicaid is extremely complex.  If your assets are under 250,000 its a piece of cake . $15,000 seems high unless you are creating a very complex trust arrangement. for about $750.000  

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Rescue mom
    Rescue mom Member Posts: 988
    500 Comments Fourth Anniversary 5 Likes
    Did you mean $15,000 for the attorney’s cost, for long term? I did not read it that way at first, but others did and I can see why.  If so, I agree, that seems high and I’d talk to other attorneys.
  • newbloomer
    newbloomer Member Posts: 15
    Third Anniversary 10 Comments

he was approved for the HCBS waiver thru council on aging service. I only spoke to lawyer office on phone and she gave me highlights of their services. It was too much for me to digest so suggested we meet in person and bring my son, who is my poa. no estate planning was done when we had will and poa and HCR docs done. what I got out of conversation in my feeble mind was they would do the medicaid eligibility, update will to add a supplemental need trust, once DH approved for mcaid, that would make kids the trustee, and follow him through all phrases of care and eventually NH  should he need it up to his death. no I am not a millionaire. currently living comfortably.  

Thanks for the replies, will definitely be cautious. Any others chime in on suggestions besides the cost of ECL.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    When we went to see a CELA, he gave us all the information about medicaid we might need. If we have questions, we can call for answers at no cost. But if we wanted him to handle applying for it, and follow through with everything, it would be an additional $6,000.00. I think it will make a difference in your location too.
  • White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 847
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes
    Dear Newbloomer, I had a free consult with an elderlaw attorney earlier this year.  He went through everything and told me exactly what would need to be done and when to do it.  At the end, he gave me a sheet of paper with what information I would need to have on hand if DH would have to be placed.  Then he said to call him when the time came and he would take care of everything and the cost would be $10,000.  I tried not to blink but the cost really caught me off guard.  Later, I posted on this forum and asked for advice from others.  They said to get a second opinion.  I did...and I am so glad!  The second elderlaw attorney also offered a free consult.  She took me through the steps the same as the first attorney and let me ask all my questions.  At the end, she gave me a sheet of paper with the firms rates listed on it.  She also told me her fee would probably be around $1,200.  Quite a difference!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more