Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Excessive sleeping

My husband had a ruptured cerebral aneurysm six years ago. He fought back from being on a feeding tube to taking care of himself. He never worked again as his memory and initiation were gone, but his intellect intact. Things slowly changed and we received a diagnosis of mixed dementia this summer.

We are in a place he likes, have some lovely friends in our bubble. But of late he sleeps 18-20 hours per day. When he is awake he walks the dog, sets the table, enjoys meals, TV and music. He is pleasant, loving, and appreciative.

This heavy amount of sleep has me concerned that there is something I should be addressing. He has been diagnosed with sleep apnea, but could not tolerate the CPAP even earlier,

I also wonder how far he is in this process. He speaks gibbrrish,  does not groom or shower unless bribed by an outing,,and sleeps and sleeps.

Comments

• CStrope
    CStrope Member Posts: 487
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I share your concerns.  My DH is still going through testing to determine what is causing his dementia, but he has been sleeping much more than he ever used to.  DH Wants to go to bed around 8:00 and doesn't get up until after 8:00, then needs a nap every day.

I have to encourage him to shower more than once a week and to change his clothes.  His view is he's not going any where so why does any of this matter.  He does not seem depressed otherwise, and continues to do a lot with our dogs, does the laundry, and keeps himself busy.

• Lynne D
    Lynne D Member Posts: 276
    100 Comments Second Anniversary
    I, too, aim for the once a week shower. My husband’ main chore is walking the dog.he doesn’t seem unhappy, and that is why I do not suspect depression.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    My wife also sleeps quite a lot, with naps during the day. But not close to being as much as your husband. If you find an answer to the cause, you should let us know, if you will.
  • ElaineD
    ElaineD Member Posts: 206
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions

Yes, my husband sleeps from 10 pm to 10 am, tho will deny this if questioned about it.  He also nods off frequently during the day, in his recliner.

He takes an antidepressant, and has for quite a while.   He doesn't have a diagnosis yet, because he claims his memory is in keeping with his age (81)  This is what he has told two of his doctors in the past 4 months. (I can read the doctors' note on his MyChart Account, which is how I know.  He refuses to discuss his 'memory issues' with me).

As far as I can tell he is in the MCI (Mild Cognitive Impairment) stage of the vascular dementia that runs in his family.  For over four years has exhibited all of the signs, including personality change, impaired executive function, apathy and lack of empathy, and lack of social filter, in addition to progressing erosion of his short term memory, and huge gaps in his longer term memory.  For example he doesn't remember the trip we took to Germany in 2017, AT ALL.

He isn't bothered by any of the above signs, nor about this fact that he sleeps straight through for 12 hours at night, and naps frequently.

He is happy watching the same shows over and over again.  In fact he just asked me to 'get back' the channel he watches two of his favorite shows  on.  They are subscription channels and I had cancelled a few of our subscriptions to save money.  Since he watches these shows constantly I know he would have watched all of the episodes by now, but I notice that he just watches the episodes at random, anyway.

In fact, in general, he is happy.  He does the dishes, and the laundry, takes walks, talks to his extensive family and his old high school classmates (class of '57), and is generally calm and happy.

So, I'm not worried, because I've finally learned that if I don't argue with him, present new ideas outside of his interests, he is content.

I'm learning, learning, learning, so much from his forum.

ElaineD

• Battlebuddy
    Battlebuddy Member Posts: 331
    100 Comments Third Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

I had an appointment this morning for my husband with his doctor . It was about this very topic. He sleeps from 8:00 to 8:00, and is napping and dozing off throughout the day. He’s sleeping now. His brother came yesterday and basically slept through it. He says he is exhausted.  

So we are checking for anemia, and UTI, but at stage 6 it just seems part and parcel of the illness. If you search “ Sleeps a lot” on this site you will see this is very common, especially later stages. I’ve upped my crafting and getting more done so that’s a plus. My nights are boring and lonely but I get my Me time in and can watch TV or read uninterrupted. That’s a huge blessing and I consider myself lucky in that regard . So many suffer with no breaks

• Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,307
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Hi,

I believe it comes with the territory.  My husband had vascular dementia and he slept a lot - sometimes until noon when he had gone to bed around 10.  Other days he's get up when I did - early in the morning.  I didn't worry about the sleeping because he was all right otherwise.  If you husband or wife seems happy and content, let them sleep.  It's not bothering them.  I know you may be worried about it but I don't think it's anything to rally worry about.  Use the time they're sleeping to do things you want to get done and just enjoy the time you have with them.

• Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

My DW sleeps 12-14 hours overnight, with some naps/sleeping during the day as well.  She is late stage 6.  With the guidance of her neurologist, I reduced her olanzapine dose but it does not seem to have reduced her sleep.

She needs assistance with all ADL’s and can’t initiate or carry out any activity on her own.  Speech is increasingly challenging.  

That said, she has a good disposition, is accepting of help, and is loving.  I don’t see depression.

I think this is disease progression, not that it’s easy to know.  That said, I am taking her to a new PCP from our local community hospital who is part of the Palliative Care program and will make house calls when that becomes necessary.  Will seek the new doc’s counsel on this sleep issue.

• jjuliajul11
    jjuliajul11 Member Posts: 7
    Second Anniversary First Comment
    My sister had it too. She slept for 18-19 hours a day. And when she was not sleeping, she listened to music, played games, drew or walked with friends. I wanted her to sleep less but couldn't help her. On https://www.canadadrugsdirect.com/ I read that vitamins can help. I decided to give it a try and it really helped her. Now she sleeps less than 13-14 hours a day.
  • CStrope
    CStrope Member Posts: 487
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    @ElaineD  my husband says his memory is consistent with his age too!!  But he's only 66!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more