Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Eating(2)

My DH is a lung cancer survivor and now suffering dementia perhaps exacerbated by the chemo and radiation. He is being tested for ftd or VD. They have ruled out Alzheimer’s.

So much to learn. This is so much harder than the cancer. One area of concern causing irritation between us is getting him to eat. I give him protein drinks that got him through the cancer, giving him favorite foods, eating out, small portions, and eating at did decent times of the day but he just eats very little, says he is full. Losing weight and strength. Any suggestions?

Comments

• David J
    David J Member Posts: 479
    100 Comments Third Anniversary

Ssue-

My DW wasn’t eating and was losing weight quickly, going from a size 6 to a size 2 in four months. Adding nutritional drinks (Glucerna) and changing her antidepressant eventually stopped the weight loss but I have to keep an eye on her. I also give her cake, cookies, ice cream, etc. whenever she wants it.   

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Ssue, welcome to the forum. Sorry you need to be here, but you will find this is a very good place to be when you need it. We have a lot of people here who have been where you are now, and as far down this trek as you can be. You said there was a lot to learn, and you're right. Here is a link that I pass on frequently to people who might need it. http://www.dementiacarestrategies.com/12_pt_Understanding_the_Dementia_Experience.pdf  Best of luck to you.
  • Ssue
    Ssue Member Posts: 8
    Second Anniversary First Comment

Thank you so much for the information.

It was very helpful. I just need to implement the suggestions. I keep telling myself you can’t reason with a broken brain.

God bless you for your help and support!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more