Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Wants to go home(1)

Tips, advice, affirmations deeply needed..

My husband has Lewy Body Dementia. He is mid-stage. It's only been the two of us, and I had to come to the very difficult decision to place him in memory care. Breaking my heart is under-stated. He wants to come home, he wants his license, credit cards, (probably to plan an escape). He's had some hurtful words. My research suggests the acknowledge and divert the conversation is how to handle this. Not really working. He's to be transfer form rehab to the long term tomorrow. Worried this won't go well. Yet realize the staff is used to this type of patient and I'm sure he's not the first that didn't want to be there.

Thanks, 

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Welcome to the forum. Sorry you have a reason to be here. When he says he wants to go home, do you actually know that he means to go home to you? When some people say they want to go home, they might mean they want to go to a better time in life. I'm sure you will get more replies, and others might have better replies than mine.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more