Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

A terrible way to end this long journey

My Dear Wife has ended her long hard fight with this terrible disease at 61 years old. I had to  put her in a nursing home back in late August ended up in hospital with pneumonia never showing any signs upon her going to rehab she just got weaker so I had to place her long term. The nursing home that I placed her at was one my dad and stepmother has lived there  since Jan and they like it as well as you except. Last month the wheels came off  though. My dad has been in the hospital for 3 weeks with kidney failure, pneumonia and now full blown dementia. He begged that they take him to a hospital because he wasn't feeling well and new something was wrong they would not send him because his stats were ok 2 days later they rush him to hospital. His kidneys had shut down and full of fluid and hard time breathing put on a vent in spent 2 weeks in ICU. 2-3 days after they took him the facility had major covid outbreak. My wife was one of the first group to test positive with 4 residence and 5 staff. 10 days later they had 61 residents and 28 employees test positive. So they put my wife in the covid hall for quarantine 12 days and had difficult time getting updates on her condition but they always said she was showing no signs and got out and sent to the observation hall. Two days later I got a call while at work that she had a heart attack and was being sent to hospital. When I got to hospital they took me to a family room and I knew what was coming next. The Dr came in and told me to come back and say my last goodbyes she was on a vent and had only a faint pulse and did not think she would make it to much longer. Two hours later came back and said along with the heart attack her lungs were full of covid and that she had a small brain bleeding. Suggest that we take her off the life support and let her pass or send her to another hospital that could maybe help with the brain bleed. We did the right thing and let her go no one should have to go through all this horror. Sorry for rambling on.  PS now my step mother has covid to boot it never ends

Comments

• Bevy
    Bevy Member Posts: 11
    Legacy Membership 10 Comments
    I am so sorry to hear that your wife has passed at just 61 years of age. Sending prayers to you and your family for comfort and peace during this difficult time.
  • ChrisBme
    ChrisBme Member Posts: 19
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments
    My heart breaks with you bruceb and prayers to you!
  • David J
    David J Member Posts: 479
    100 Comments Third Anniversary
    How terrible!  I hope for the best for you in the future.
  • abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    Dear Bruce, I am sorry for the loss of your wife. Please accept my sincere condolences.
  • Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    Deepest sympathies, Bruce.  My heart goes out to you.
  • Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,671
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    (((Bruce)))
  • Last Dance
    Last Dance Member Posts: 135
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions
    I am so sorry for your loss what a horrible way for your wife's  life to end, and all the pain that she went through, and what  you had to go through,and  are still dealing with. God's blessings to you in the days ahead. Richard
  • Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Bruce, My condolences on the loss of your wife and praying for the best for your father and step mother.
  • Doityourselfer
    Doityourselfer Member Posts: 224
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments
    I'm sorry for your loss.  Take care of yourself.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Bruce, I'm sorry. That's way too much.
  • White Crane
    White Crane Member Posts: 848
    Seventh Anniversary 250 Care Reactions 500 Comments 100 Likes
    My heart breaks for you bruceb.  Sending prayers.
  • Laurention
    Laurention Member Posts: 23
    Ninth Anniversary 10 Comments

Bruce ...I'm so sorry for your loss..

My 64 year old wife is in the final hours/days of her life. Her LTC has taken every precaution, still 5 staff members tested positive and 3 residents... My last test has expired    ..Im on the testing list for  today . If I don't get results soon ??

All residents, and staff are tested every 7 days ..I live in Canada and we're having many issues with the Vaccine delivery ..LTC homes are number one priority and its painfully slow.

Mike

• Whyzit
    Whyzit Member Posts: 156
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    Bruce, Please know that we all here are so sorry and disheartened with what you are experiencing. We pray for strength and comfort for you and yours.
  • amicrazytoo
    amicrazytoo Member Posts: 169
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments
    So very sorry, that was more than most could endure. You made the right choice, now she is at peace. I'm sorry for your loss.
  • ImInTheGarden
    ImInTheGarden Member Posts: 9
    Third Anniversary First Comment
    I"m so sorry Bruce, that was a terrible way to end your long journey.
  • Siouxz
    Siouxz Member Posts: 8
    Fourth Anniversary First Comment

Bruce, 

I am so sorry for all you’ve been through. Blessings to you and those in your life. 

• Marie58
    Marie58 Member Posts: 382
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments
    Bruce, I'm so sorry for your loss and the suffering your wife endured. Blessings to you as you grieve and for what your dad and step-mom are going through.
  • LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Dear Bruce,

I am so sorry for your loss and the heartache you are dealing with. May the Lord give you strength, may He comfort you and may He bring you peace.

You have endured so much. I am sending you cyber hugs and love.

-LT

• eaglemom
    eaglemom Member Posts: 521
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

This is too too much. I am so sorry for everything that you are going through. Please accept my condolences on the loss of your wife. Please be selfish with yourself - you've been through and are going through so much. Time for yourself is needed.

eagle

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney