Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

In Florida the Rich are ENTITLED to vaccine

Crushed
Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

The call, she said, had come from Keith Myers, chief executive of MorseLife Health System, a high-end nursing home and assisted-living facility in West Palm Beach, Fla., to members of the board and major donors.

MorseLife has made difficult-to-get coronavirus vaccines — provided through a federal program intended for residents and staff of long-term-care facilities — available not just to its residents but to those who made generous donations to the facility, including members of the Palm Beach Country Club, according to multiple people who were offered access, some of whom accepted it. The precise number of invitations, and how many may have gone to non-donors, could not be learned.

But the arrangement, in appearing to rely on a program run by chain pharmacies for long-term-care facilities, may have violated national immunization guidelines, as well as state protocols, even though state officials, speaking on the condition of anonymity to address sensitive matters, acknowledged that the rules have not been spelled out clearly enough by Gov. Ron DeSantis (R).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/01/05/florida-nursing-home-covid-vaccine/

This is strictly a product of loose regulation designed to allow diversion of the vaccine to the rich and powerful and away from Alzheimer's patients  

Comments

• Rescue mom
    Rescue mom Member Posts: 988
    500 Comments Fourth Anniversary 5 Likes

News stories online today about a wealthy Florida gated community, with close connections with FL political leaders, getting most of one FL county’s vaccines.. this is a different place than the PB facility crushed cited.

Those county leaders pointed blame fingers at the county health dept., which is run by the state. The state gov. Points to the hospitals, which he says should manage distribution. The hospitals point to the state and feds for not supplying nearly enough to meet senior population needs. Other reports of doses set aside for friends and family outside the designated first recipients, which I kind of expected once any “local” control got started. It’s a mess, and like other recent events too serious to call “a mess”, seems like some prep might have been good. But that’s just me. 

Facilities were supposed to have does delivered to the sites and given to residents, but the ones I have friends family at, have not yet gotten any.

At least they’ve started letting a few grocery stores give it (they do flu shots, so)....

But it’s a never-ending truth: if you have money or connections, the “rules” don’t mean much.b

• JJ401
    JJ401 Member Posts: 312
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

Rhode Island

Several hundred people not currently eligible to receive the Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna vaccines in Rhode Island attempted to get them with the help of eligible individuals who improperly shared their confidential appointment-registration links, a leading member of the Health Department’s COVID-19 inoculation effort disclosed Tuesday afternoon.

“They somehow cheated the system,” Alysia Mihalakos, a member of the department’s COVID-19 vaccine subcommittee, said during what has become a weekly virtual media briefing. “The demand for vaccine is clearly very high, and people are willing to push others aside in order to get themselves or their loved ones vaccinated.”

https://www.providencejournal.com/story/news/healthcare/2021/01/05/ri-vaccine-scam-somehow-cheated-system-health-dept-says/4139346001/?utm_campaign=snd-autopilot

Attempted? Some actually got the vaccine. People shared the link and their family and friends registered. The link was easy to use and while it asked for the information to make sure you were eligible, it didn’t require it. And when you got a time and showed up, no one was asked to verify they were eligible.

How do I know? Someone sent me the link and told me how to fill it in. I didn’t. My church upbringing guilt would not let me cut the line.

• Donr
    Donr Member Posts: 182
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes
    Live in Florida and yesterday was able to obtain vaccine appointments for me and my wife at Cleveland Clinic. Miami-Dade and Broward counties have started drive through sights at large parks for faster delivery of the vaccine.
  • Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions
    Donr wrote:
    Live in Florida and yesterday was able to obtain vaccine appointments for me and my wife at Cleveland Clinic. Miami-Dade and Broward counties have started drive through sights at large parks for faster delivery of the vaccine.

Faster delivery to healthy people with cars, computers and no care responsibilities.    

Thousands of older people may not get the potentially life-saving COVID-19 vaccine as early as hoped because local health departments are forcing those who want an appointment to apply for it online. This decision is leaving older people who lack access to, or are not comfortable with, technology unable to secure one of the already hard-to-get and coveted spots to get inoculated. Both Sarasota and Manatee County health departments have created appointment systems in which people have to go online to register for a place in line and then download and print the forms they’ll need.

That’s a nearly impossible task for thousands of older people who either don’t have computers, smartphones or printers or, when they do, are not proficient enough to quickly snap up one of the few available spots.

https://www.heraldtribune.com/story/news/local/sarasota/2021/01/04/seniors-withseniors-without-computers-may-lack-access-out-computers-may-lack-access-covid-19-vaccine/4098005001/

• Donr
    Donr Member Posts: 182
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes
    People can still obtain an appointment on the telephone. Caregivers or family should be able to help the older people who do not use a computer. If they live in a ALS or LTF they have no problem. CVS and Walgreens are going to these facilities.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more