Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

I’m impressed with the culture

Whyzit
Whyzit Member Posts: 156
Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 5 Likes
New Year’s Day DH had chest pains so I called 911 and they took him to emergency at UCONN HEALTH. I was able to check on him online using his patient account because with COVID I wasn’t allowed to be with him.He has pneumonia and a UTI (first ever). He came home the same day. Today the emergency department called to suggest changing his medicine because his UTI Culture came back and the medication he’s on is not as effective in treating this particular bacteria as the one they are recommending. Now I realize how important the culture is with UTI and why many here have said to be sure to have the culture done. Thank you caregivers for sharing your knowledge and thank you UCONN HEALTH for good service, communication and follow through. I’m impressed!

Comments

• amicrazytoo
    amicrazytoo Member Posts: 169
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments
    Positives are always worth sharing! Thanks!
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    That's great news! I always recommend a culture, only because it was shared with me from this site. I have learned a lot, and I have received support from everyone here. It's amazing how something that might seem insignificant can make such a difference. Really glad things are working out for you.
  • ElaineD
    ElaineD Member Posts: 206
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions

Dear Whyzit,

I had my first UTI at age 65.  In the last 13 years I have learned:

1. My UTIs are often completely asymptomatic.  Asymptomatic UTI's are often case, I have heard.  There is a diagnosis called Asymptomatic UTIs.

2. When I have an asymptomatic UTI  that proceeds to a Kidney infection, I am still asymptomatic.  No pain at all, or no more pain than I usually experience in my body.

3. It is only when the infection (usually e-coli) has entered my blood stream that I begin to feel a bit like I have the flu, and I run a fever of 100.  I am dangerously close to septicemia at this point.  So far I've caught the infection in time.

4. I must be proactive, and insist on frequent Urine Tests, which are almost always negative in the doctor's office.

5. I must then INSIST that the urine sample be sent for laboratory testing. The culture has shown 5 different bacteria in the past year.

6. I have had 7 diagnosed UTI's in the past 12 months, only one progressed to septicemia and then I was in the hospital in June for 3 days.  All but one UTI showed no sign of infection in the doctor's office.

I am taking a medication that is OTC and is derived from cranberries, extracting the chemical that can be protective against UTIs.  I also have started seeing a Urogynecologist who always tests me on request.

There are home 'dip sticks' which will reveal the state of your urine, but unfortunately I always have one of the key chemicals in my urine (leukocytes, one sign of infection)  because the lining of my bladder is inflamed from an Immune Disorder.  The other chemical (nitrites, the result of bacterial action) never really shows up in serious amounts.  Even when I have TWO bacterial infections growing! So the home tests are useless for me.  But they might help with your husband.

I am sorry your DH is having these medical problems.  Hang in there, keep breathing, relaxing breathing can be very helpful.

Love, elained

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney