Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

A new low...

I had to do something today that I wasn't quite prepared to make in this journey.  DH refused to take his meds.  Ordinarily I can pursuade him but today his behavior was aggitated and combative there was no way to reasonably change his mind.  I had to take his phone and offer it as a reward if he would take his medication.  If he doesn't take his morning meds the day is unbearable for us at home.  It felt cruel, but he did eventually take them.  It's like raising a teenager which I'm still doing.  Ugh!  Please tell me I'm not the only one who has had to do this.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

What Victoria said.

My DW disbelieves doctors’ prescribing recommendations, and we got to a point where she refused to take her meds.  I grind them and mix them in yogurt or applesauce.  

• Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    When we are caring for the people we love, we do whatever it takes.  Good job!
  • KatieKat1
    KatieKat1 Member Posts: 55
    10 Comments Second Anniversary
    DH does not want to take meds. Had a bad experience in hospital with UTI and meds put in his food...that's how it all began with DH.  I have had to find a way to get Seroquel in him so I purchased a pill grinder and put the ground up med in his drink...coffee, soda, tea...or whatever and stir well.  Never was successful putting in food since he could detect it but in beverages it dissolves quicker.  Not all meds should be broken up...like Donepezil...so I have to work on that one every day and get him to take it when he is in a good mood...and some days it does not work for me. Some meds come in liquid form.  The Donepezil tablet I give him is the dissolvable type so it disappears quickly in his mouth.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more