Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

We have a vaccine appointment

Ed1937
Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
Next Wednesday afternoon we get vaccinated. And we aren't politically connected!

Comments

• June45
    June45 Member Posts: 364
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions
    That's great!!! 
  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,754
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    wonderful....how did you get it?
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Yay!  We were also able to get it this past weekend.  It does really hurt, btw, I couldn't sleep the first night.  So worth it though.
  • zauberflote
    zauberflote Member Posts: 272
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes

I was just reading the news in my state about a form to fill online if you are not affiliated with a health care organization (we are creeping along in that phase1a....). Its first page was simple and to-the-point. There appeared to be a way to apply if you were a caregiver in the home!

I think I'd better check my facts on that one though. 

• JDancer
    JDancer Member Posts: 451
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments
    That's great. I just heard a radio program about the difficulties some people are having in places that require you to wait in line instead of scheduling an appointment. I'm fortunate that my city is very well organized and doing a great job getting "shots in arms." I will second the comment that the (Pfizer) vaccine is painful- I got a lot of grief for posting that information earlier- but I can't wait to get my second vaccination on the 19th.
  • Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Great news Ed! I figure our turn is still 2 months away, after 1st responder and inmates.
  • Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Good for you, Ed.  I keep getting “alerts” on my health network site; maybe I should start checking them.  I may have already missed the sign ups or appointments.  I was thinking it would be well into spring/summer until our turn would come up.
  • jfkoc
    I have medicare with Humana  via USAA. I have heard nothing.
  • JDancer
    Are the notices coming from insurance companies? I thought our city/county was sending the invites based on the number of vaccines available. I could be wrong, or it could be different from place to place. As a health care worker, I received mine from my employer. I'm curious to hear  the experiences of others.
  • Ed1937
    jfkoc wrote:
    wonderful....how did you get it?

I wasn't expecting to be able to get it for a while. One of our grandsons sent me a text with a link to an article in the local newspaper (online). It said people 80 and over could get the vaccine now. I tried to set up an appointment, but there were so many people trying, everything crashed. A couple hours later, I tried again with success. Healthcare workers and others who have contact with the public on a daily basis (hairdressers, etc.), and people 80 or over are eligible. Healthcare workers are notified. I think all others just have to be aware of the fact that they can get it. Appointments had to be made through the state of Indiana. It took about 5 minutes online to fill in all the info for me, but there was no way to make an appointment at the same time for your spouse.  So I had to do it all again, and even though the time slots were 10 minutes apart, by the time mine was made, and I wanted to set one up for my wife, the time slots next to mine were taken. So our appointments are 30 minutes apart. But I'm not complaining, that's for sure. Just glad we don't have to wait like those in long lines in Florida. 

• June45
    June45 Member Posts: 364
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions

Hi Ed,

Florida is a big state and I am sure some of the counties are having long lines but that is not the case in every FL county. Florida is a great state and I am proud to be a Floridian especially at tax time...no state income tax!!    Anyway, let us know how the vaccine experience goes...very happy that you and your wife will be getting it.

• anneleigh
    anneleigh Member Posts: 65
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments

Orange County Fl here.  Was able to sign up my DH, mom and dad at OIA for next week.

Too bad caregivers at younger ages can't get it too!  Guess I have to wait it out~

• Donr
    Donr Member Posts: 182
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes
    I live in Miami Dade County and finally able to acquire an appointment  for me and my wife at Cleveland Clinic. A lot of our doctors practice at CC. When i found out that they just received another supply I went on "My Chart" and was able obtain a appointment for both of us.
  • ElaineD
    ElaineD Member Posts: 206
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions

At my Senior Living Community we are scheduled for the vaccination on January 19, a date in mid-February, and one in mid-March.  There are over 200 residents here, and I'm not sure when I will be vaccinated.  

We are having the Moderna vaccine.

ElaineD

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    This is good news overall- sounds like more and more places are getting their act together. I feel for the folks who lack online access though...
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,671
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Glad you got your vaccine Ed.  My 90 year old Aunt got her vaccine this week.  She had no complaints other than her arm being sore if she touched it.  Have no idea which one she received. The post is encouraging that things are starting to move forward some.

Aware of one person who has received their second vaccine.  Said their arm was about the same soreness as with first one and that they had a mild headache second time.  Can’t remember if it was Pfizer or Moderna.

Donr thanks  for mentioning that you found it on my chart.  I will be in the last group to be eligible so will be awhile.  Will keep an eye out there though.  My insurance company and my chart are good at communicating with me.  Have not heard anything from either.  Actually I get emails from CVS pharmacy and they have provided a lot of information.  Once the vaccine production gets rolling good Walmart’s etc. will all be giving it too I read.

• JDancer
    Ed- 30 minutes separating your appointments should be just about right, if you want to stay with your LO through the whole process. After the vaccine, a wait time is required to make sure there is no anaphylactic reaction. 10 minutes for most, 30 minutes for those with a history of anaphylactic reactions. This is what I experienced, and I think it is the standard protocol
  • jfkoc
    Wish...thank you....I did get the email from Integris...I will go to the site you linked and fill out the form.
  • eaglemom
    eaglemom Member Posts: 521
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Good for you Ed. Glad your getting your vaccination.

I think it will be Fall before we ever even get on a signup list. Even though DH is in year 9 of Dementia and has severe asthma, we're not 65. That's the cutoff, 65. Which is why we stay home & if I get out I'm wearing a mask and wash my hands often.

eagle

• Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,307
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    I think I heard they were going to roll out all the vaccines to be used now and not hold back any for the second vaccination.  Have they decided one vaccination will be enough?  What if you get the first one and can't get the second?
  • JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Ed, I'm glad you were able to get signed up. I heard all slots in my county were filled by noon. 

I have a long time to wait until I am going to be able to get a shot. Teachers now come after everyone over the age of 60. And DH won't be able to get his shot until after me.... maybe November?

• Donr
    Donr Member Posts: 182
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes
    jfkoc wrote:
    Wish...thank you....I did get the email from Integris...I will go to the site you linked and fill out the form.
    Glad you made some progress. We just need to know how to play the game. 
  • Ed1937
    JoseyWales wrote:

Teachers now come after everyone over the age of 60. 

That's absolutely crazy! You should be one of the first ones to get vaccinated. One of our daughters, who is VERY careful, is positive. She carries hand sanitizer with her when she has to go out, and uses it when getting back into her car. Always wears a mask, and washes her hands frequently. She's pretty sure she got it from one of her daughters, who is in school. 

• Jimbob59
    Jimbob59 Member Posts: 39
    Fifth Anniversary 10 Comments
    Here in Georgia the health department will start making appointments tomorrow 1/11 for persons over 65 and their caregivers, they say it will be drive thru no standing in lines.
  • jfkoc
    state form done and monitoring 2 other sites....I know I should not be pickey but would lie to get the one dose from J&J.
  • jfkoc
    5 friends got the Moderna this morning...did not feel a thing and feeling fine

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more