Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

I am a very lucky man

Ed1937
Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

We have one daughter who has been a great help with her mother (my wife). She has been sick with coronavirus, as has her husband. So we haven't seen her for a while.

Another daughter, a good cook, brought us stuffed cabbage, potatoes, green beans, and peach pie today. She said she would like to make dinner for us every Sunday! I did not refuse it.

I only wish the rest of you had it as good as I do.

Comments

• Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    Color me green with envy, Ed.
  • Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    You are, indeed, a lucky man, Ed!  I, too, am blessed with great kids and grandkids nearby.  Sometimes I feel bad sharing stories here as so many are struggling.  Life, even with Alz., is so much easier when everyone pitches in and gets along.
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,711
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    All good stuff for keeping that glucose up Ed! Hope the medication thing worked out--miss my kids fiercely, am glad yours are close by. Fingers crossed for the Covid sufferers.
  • ladyzetta
    ladyzetta Member Posts: 1,028
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Hi Ed,

I am sure you would like us to join the both of you for Sunday dinner,     what time will you be serving. It sounds so good and you are so lucky. You have a very sweet daughter.  

Hugs Zetta 

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,757
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    how wonderful to have something to look forward to every week...she sounds like a great cook!
  • Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Ed, No pork chops

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Everyone is invited for Sunday dinner.

Judith, she brought a pork tenderloin last week, with potatoes, green beans, and fried apples. I told her I didn't realize she was such a  good cook. She told me she watched her mother cook for years, and she was an excellent cook until late 2019. Then she stopped cooking.

Joe, there's nothing wrong with your memory.

• abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    That's so nice Ed! Good for you and DW.
    PS I remember the pork chops too.
  • billS
    billS Member Posts: 180
    Third Anniversary 100 Comments
    Ed that's great to hear you have such positive support from your daughters. Nothing like good comfort food to ease the stress and brighten one's day.
  • Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

I saw my younger daughter on face time  with her two kids for an hour.  She is a busy lady. She is also a Maryland assistant Attorney  general. 

Her younger daughter  has Lamb Shaffer Syndrome .    "Lamb-Shaffer syndrome is a neurodevelopmental disorder characterized by global developmental delay, intellectual disability, poor expressive speech, and mild dysmorphic facial features. Additional variable skeletal abnormalities may also be present" That lovely little girl  takes a lot of parental effort 

My older daughter has three boys and is a Ful time FDA scientist  (all 5 grand kids are under 1 to 8 years old.   They live only 3 miles away and I can see them outdoors.

Usually I would cook for them but there is no food sharing during Covid.  

So I treat to delivered dinners.  I am also a lucky man. 

• eaglemom
    eaglemom Member Posts: 521
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Good for you Ed. Now, I'm wondering what we'll be having next Sunday?

eagle

• Donr
    Donr Member Posts: 182
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes
    Ed and Crushed have said they are a lucky man. How about some more lucky men and women.
  • Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,672
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Very nice thread. Thank you
  • CStrope
    CStrope Member Posts: 487
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    I have to admit I am a terrible cook!  So I am very lucky that my son doesn't mind living at home, he is an amazing cook. It is great that he is home for the emotional support he can offer too.
  • sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 742
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I will say Ed sounds a lot like my dad, who often says how lucky he is. I am lucky that my dad is healthy and independent, and I have an afternoon away once a week when I go to his house. I told my dad that when things get worse here, he'll have to start coming to my house on Thursday afternoons.

I am lucky that, although my grown son left home a few years ago, he came back and gives me practical and emotional support. I have told both my guys that I do not do all the "women's work" in the house. While I like to cook, I do not do dishes or plan dinner, so I'm very lucky that someone else usually picks up those aspects!

Diane

• SSHarkey
    SSHarkey Member Posts: 298
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments
    Family! I’d feel so lost without them. Right now connecting is all virtual but it still makes me feel close. You’re so right, Ed. We are blessed indeed.
  • Arrowhead
    Arrowhead Member Posts: 361
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    I am too, but for different reasons. After 4 1/2 years, my wife loves people just as much as she always has. Although she has given me a few problems to over come, she is not as hard to live with and to take care of as some of the ones I have read about. I am her sole caregiver, yet I have a network of people in position to help if I ever need it. I feel for those who are having major problems with those they care for. I hope it gets better for them.
  • debriesea
    debriesea Member Posts: 15
    10 Comments First Anniversary 5 Likes 5 Care Reactions
    edited June 3

i am also very fortunate that we are living in our daughter’s “Grandma cabin” across the driveway from her. She and her family are very supportive and feed us dinner almost every night. Our son and his family are 10 minutes away and also supportive.
    Both our kids saw me falling apart as my DH cognitive abilities slowly declined and came to my rescue, helping me to simplify my life. They said they are more concerned about me and want me around for the long run. My Mom passed at age 97, sharp as a tack.
    This sight has been amazing to read and learn and prepare for the future. Thank you all!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more