Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Thank you so much!(1)

I'm still new here, but I feel like in the week or so that I've been here, a lot has happened. I've learned much, both intellectual and emotional learning. I've reached out for more information and have made an appointment with an attorney for next week. I've read many of your stories and feel more prepared for the road ahead, both the good and the bad.

Thank you all--for sharing your stories, for supporting each other and each of us, and our loved ones.

Diane

Comments

• Battlebuddy
    Battlebuddy Member Posts: 331
    100 Comments Third Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    This site is just chock full of info and support. I am happy you are here and learning from the posts. I found for me the first 6 months were the hardest in that the learning curve was so step and I was just overwhelmed. I honestly don’t know how I would navigate Alzheimers if it wasn’t for this site and for the support I get from my local support group. The classes I’ve attended there have been great too. Keep reading and learning!
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Diane, I think most of us here learned about the disease, and what to do in certain situations, from those before us, and those still here. Without this forum, I would have known nothing, and it would have been so much harder. Of course I still have a lot more to learn, but this place has been priceless. Thanks for starting the thread.
  • ElaineD
    ElaineD Member Posts: 206
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions

Dear Diane:

I'm in the same place.  So GLAD I found this marvelous forum.  I'm at the start of the journey with my DH.

My DH  is MY caregiver because I'm disabled.  Right now he's making me scrambled eggs for lunch.

And he has the vascular dementia that runs in his family.  He's in the early stages and is still very capable and very helpful for me.

I need all the strength and wisdom that is here, because I will lose my caregiver as my DH progresses in his disease, and I won't really be able to help HIM.  Fortunately we already live in a Senior Living Community that provides us with the major meal of the day, and had Assisted Living and Memory Care on site.  So both of us can have the care we need in the future, at least as long as our resources and LTC Insurance continues.

I'm an optimist at heart and have little fear of the future, as a general rule.

Regards, ElaineD

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney