Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Happy Crappy Birthday to Me - A vent with gratitude

Today is my 56th Birthday.

DH wakes me up stating he needs to take a shower. This generally translates to he has had a bathroom mishap. In this instance the mishap was on the moderate to severe end of the spectrum, meaning the water closet is decorated with feces in all the wrong places.

I get DH into the shower and tell him not to worry about the mess because I will take care of it. He successfully showers, I administer his meds. Then he wants coffee. I make him coffee and make his breakfast, While he eats, I clean the water closet and begin the laundry. He eats and goes back to watching TV. I make myself a cup of coffee and sit down, quite proud of handling the bathroom mess with patience and a calm voice.

DH then states the guest room is a mess and can we (meaning me) please get some of the mess out of there. The mess being the Christmas decorations that I have yet to put into the closet and family photos that I am putting into scrap books for him. He is also complaining because we have run out of his favorite coffee. Argh! Its been a frustrating morning. Fortunately these are minor annoyances.

• I am grateful to have another birthday and that I am still here to care for DH.
  • I am grateful DH is still with me and that I still love him with all my heart.
  • I am grateful he is still verbal...although I do not always appreciate his complaining.
  • I am grateful we still have Lysol wipes to use when cleaning up feces.
  • I am grateful that I put my needs first and did not immediately run to the grocery store to pick up his favorite coffee as what we have on hand it not awful. It gives me a moment of self-care.
  • I am grateful for all you caregiving heroes.

Blessings to all.

Comments

• June45
    June45 Member Posts: 364
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions
    LT, Happy Crappy Birthday!  I am sorry "it" hit the fan this morning!  (Something we all dread.) But as always you pull yourself back up and take us with you!
  • ElaineD
    ElaineD Member Posts: 206
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions

Dear LadyTexan;

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!   

I have always admired you.  Your gratitude list today is stunning and marvelous.  I don't imagine I could find the level of gratitude you describe today.

And I know I cannot follow your example because I cannot drive, nor walk without a walker, and I cannot even make coffee!  So when the times comes that my DH will need physical help, or that the water closet will need cleaning, I will have to place my DH in Assisted Living, or perhaps Memory Care.   

You have found some peace and gratitude today, and you have earned it, I know.

Love, ElaineD

• CStrope
    CStrope Member Posts: 487
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Happy Birthday!  I am grateful that you are able to look at the situation with the calmness that you have.  Hang in there.  I have come to realize that birthdays are for ourselves.  They are a way for us to mark our own accomplishments and milestones.  Even when our loved ones are healthy, relying on them for our birthday happy feelings often ends up in disappointment.  

So I say....Happy Happy Birthday to you.  Celebrate yourself and all that you are.

• caberr
    caberr Member Posts: 211
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments
    Happy Birthday!  I hope the day gets better.  I love your posts of gratefulness.  It really makes me think!
  • David J
    David J Member Posts: 479
    100 Comments Third Anniversary
    Happy Birthday LT!  Your a tough and resourceful Lady, Lady Texan, and your equanimity in the face of adversity is to be admired. I hope the crappy part is done and the rest of the day goes well. Celebrate your day!  My DW didn’t understand it was my birthday, but she enjoyed the cake.
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    LT, just for fun, tell me a story:  what was your best or most memorable birthday?  One of mine was coming down with mumps on my 10th....in 1966, just months before a mumps vaccine was approved!
  • Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,307
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Happy Birthday, Lady Texan.  Hope the rest of your day is good.  They surely come around in a hurry, don't they?
  • Doityourselfer
    Doityourselfer Member Posts: 224
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments
    LadyTexan,  Happy birthday to you and many more!
  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,754
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    hoping the Happy Birthday bird arrives before the day is over...
  • Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

That’d be a rough start to an unbirthday!

Good on you to handle it all and then reflect on that which is good.  You are a role model for all of us!

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Sorry you had such a start, but you're one tough lady, so let's party! WOOOOHOOO! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! Is there any cake and ice cream left?
  • amicrazytoo
    amicrazytoo Member Posts: 169
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments
    Sending you (((HUGS))) for your Birthday!
  • June45
    June45 Member Posts: 364
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions
    P. S. LT...next time you buy your husband's favorite coffee, save the container and if you run out, you can always fill it with "other" coffee.
  • Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,671
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Happy Birthday Lady Texan.
  • Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Happy Birthday! Wishing you a fabulous “rest of your day”!
  • ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    Happy Birthday, Lady Texan!!! Wishing you many, many more, and may they be filled with more self-care moments, and less crap. I am a lady Texan too, transplanted years ago but not too far away from you. I pray you enjoyed celebrating YOU, for part of this day. I, too, am grateful for all that you bring to this community. Your lists, and your example of accentuating the positive in life, are a priceless gift. Thank you for sharing that habit with us all. What a great way to focus on what it good, and should be appreciated, despite the challenges of caregiving for our PWD LOs.  Cheers to you! Blessings always
  • LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Thank you for the well wishes everyone. My day did indeed get better. 

M1 - a story of a memorable birthday is actually of a non-remembered birthday. 

In 1989 my brother was getting married on January 14. The festivities required travel from Texas to Michigan. It was a large wedding with many family and friends. 

My birthday was forgotten by all including my parents. Not a mention. Not a card. 

The wedding weekend was a wonderful event and a celebration of love and happiness. There was great joy celebrating with family and friends. I treasure the memories of the loved ones now gone. Those memories are priceless. 

The non-remembered birthday turned out to be one of the best (yet).

THANK YOU ALL for making my 56th birthday very special. 

• abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    Happy Happy Birthday Lady!
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Thanks LT!!! Hope it made you happy to remember that story and tell it. Here's to the NEXT 56!!!
  • anneleigh
    anneleigh Member Posts: 65
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments

Happy Birthday Texan!  glad you can appreciate the good today.

We are with you in spirit!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney