Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Failed the “dry January” test

DWck
DWck Member Posts: 18
10 Comments Second Anniversary

Hello all,

New Year’s resolution was to stop my nightly wine consumption. I’ve failed miserably. DH is fairly stable and I am learning to deal with his repeated questions and toilet duties. Kudos to the poop club! Guess I’m feeling down about what’s going on in our country. At any rate, my mind set is to live for today and if I enjoy a glass (or two) of wine so be it. Cheers to all!

Comments

• Lynne D
    Lynne D Member Posts: 276
    100 Comments Second Anniversary
    No shame in that. Cheers!
  • Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

January is a miserable dark cold month at best.  I haven't had a drink since FEB 2010.  But if  did January is more than enough reason.  Slainte'

• ElaineD
    ElaineD Member Posts: 206
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions
    You have reminded me, DWck, that I would enjoy a glass of wine right about now!

If 'drinking' no matter what or how much or how often becomes a problem, I'll know how and where to seek help.  Probably the only 'real' issue is for me is the consumption of additional calories, but I've been able to return to my lowest weight in 5 years, so I'm quite happy.
    Since I'm complete disabled (walk with difficulty with braces and a walker, stopped driving over 4 years ago) managing my weight is a big issue.  Especially since our fitness center at my Senior Living Center, had closed down twice in response to COVID restrictions required by State Law.
    But today I was able to put in my two hours on the Nu-Step, so I'm a happy camper.  Off to get a glass to toast you with, DW.
    ElaineD
  • ladyzetta
    ladyzetta Member Posts: 1,028
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    I enjoy my evening glass of wine, so here's is a big toast & cheers  to you all.
  • Rick4407
    Rick4407 Member Posts: 241
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 25 Care Reactions
    Your solution is no doubt healthier than I mine.  After not smoking for 17 years I started smoking a pipe.  It's been a year of struggles for all of us I expect.
  • billS
    billS Member Posts: 180
    Third Anniversary 100 Comments
    Cheers DWck, (pauses to take another sip of wine) I don't think I could manage to stay sane without my nightly wine consumption. As caregivers we're constantly reminded to take care of ourselves, and for me a few glasses of wine in the evening are essential. In fact my everyday favorite wine is labeled "Essential Red", so if it's essential I'm going to happily take my medicine!
  • CStrope
    CStrope Member Posts: 487
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I raise my glass in cheers to you all.  We all deserve a little indulgence, whatever it may be.  Mine happens to be a great Old Fashioned made with Whiskey instead of Brandy!

• JM1316
    JM1316 Member Posts: 26
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments
    Slainte’.      Glass of wine is good for you
  • David J
    David J Member Posts: 479
    100 Comments Third Anniversary

As DW declined, social isolation increased, and Covid isolation made it complete, my self medication increased. I have been an amateur beer brewer, and have my favorite local brewery, as well as an appreciation for good whiskey. This combination has been building to a breaking point and I have broken. I am now on the wagon, and intend to remain so. Yes, a drink relaxes me, but the ones after that do nothing positive.   

This caregiving life is very hard, and it is easy to take solace in the bottle.  I have decided that I can do this better without the dulling affects of alcohol. Wish me luck. 

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Right there with you David.  That nightly glass of red wine doesn't need to be nightly and doesn't need to get bigger.  And I don't need the calories either....
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    David J wrote:

I have decided that I can do this better without the dulling affects of alcohol. Wish me luck. 

Been there, done that. But that was many years ago. I can tell you that my life is much different now, for the better. I hope you can do the same.

• ScottyTom
    ScottyTom Member Posts: 11
    Sixth Anniversary First Comment
    I can relate.  I find myself waking up in the middle of the night and despairing about not just my wife and our years of "groundhog day" existence, but this awful situation in the country.  I've been self-medicating with OTC sleep aids and increasing alcohol so I don't lay in bed and stew about everything.  Wife seems to be in a decline stage.  I don't know if it is incontinence or not but she has several times lately not made it to the bathroom in time (fecal).  It's as if her brain doesn't tell her until too late that it is time to go.  She's also sleeping more and more.  The only thing that perks her up is calls from friends and family, but those don't fill in the long, long days.  And of course, there are those who certainly could call more but go MIA for weeks at a time.  Everything seems to be coming at us at once.  It's hard to evade feelings of despair.
  • manthorn
    manthorn Member Posts: 5
    Ninth Anniversary First Comment
    I have felt the same way. The wine has been my crutch to stay sane during this ordeal. But, last night was an eye opener. I cannot continue to drink as one glass became one too many. I have to find a better way to deal with our issues that surround my DH stage in this horrid disease. And, quite frankly this morning, I am not sure what to do next. The rest of the bottle is thrown out. I came back to the boards after being away for a long time hoping to find an anchor.
  • LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

I am an alcoholic in recovery. 

Alcohol is not a bad thing for everybody, but it is definitely a bad thing for me. I can't control my consumption of alcohol. I know this from experience as I have tried controlled drinking many times. As a result I abstain. My life is better because of it.

I cannot imagine being a caregiver when I am drunk. Getting drunk is what happens when I drink because one drink is never enough for me.

• manthorn

This is going to be difficult for me as I have become accustomed to the numbing effects at the end of the day. But, I know I need to do this.

• Crushed
    LadyTexan wrote:

I am an alcoholic in recovery. Alcohol is not a bad thing for everybody, but it is definitely a bad thing for me. I can't control my consumption of alcohol. I know this from experience as I have tried controlled drinking many times. As a result I abstain. My life is better because of it. I cannot imagine being a caregiver when I am drunk. Getting drunk is what happens when I drink because one drink is never enough for me.

Let me send you every possible encouragement
    I'm all set here for a wild weekend (see photo)

One of DWs funniest lines after I stopped drinking was after she looked at 6 empty Perrier bottles on the table.  She said Don't you think you've had enough?

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    LadyTexan, Well said! A drink is not an option for me as well since I walk the same path. In 36 years DW has never seen me take a drink and I pray she never does.
  • David J

I know I hijacked DWck’s thread, but I thank you all for the encouragement. My wake up call came when I realized that one was never enough, and one was “needed” at the end of each day. For those that have maintained sobriety for several years, congratulations and keep going. I have decided that I need to do this for myself and for my DW. I know this isn’t AA but your support is greatly appreciated. 

Dave

• manthorn

Hey Dave, I posted on this thread too. My wake up call came  Saturday morning after my indulgence on Friday night.  Three nights now with no alcohol. I am counting each day on the calendar in the morning to give me a push of determination to keep going.  My issue is wine. I  drink it like water once I start. Not good.  

So, I'm sending virtual support to you!

• Crushed

Ok another joke.  DW never drank.   I quit drinking very early in the disease when DW was not telling anyone, so she had this line that I "quit drinking so I would get more sex".  So a Friend asked her "does it work?"  She smiled and said  I'm thinking of taking up drinking !!

DW was a fun girl!!

• David J
    Manthorn- it’s hard, isn’t it?  Stick with it. I’m on day 10.
  • Crushed
    David J wrote:
    Manthorn- it’s hard, isn’t it?  Stick with it. I’m on day 10.

stick with it I'm on day 3,987   

• manthorn
    I am surprised I am doing it to tell you the honest truth! Continued luck to those of us that have had to choose this path! Thanks for the support!
  • Stuck in the middle
    Stuck in the middle Member Posts: 1,167
    1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

I was an "alcofrolic" in my youth, but not anymore.  Having a sense of humor and an active imagination can cost you friends if you lose your inhibitions.

I have noticed that Missouri lists AD as one qualifying condition for medical marijuana.  I might try that and, if it's any good, might even give some to DW.

• David J
    Stuck- Interestingly I gave up marijuana a long time ago, maybe 35 years. Now that it is getting legalized I have no interest. I hope giving up alcohol turns put to as easy. On day 12.
  • David J
    Manthorn- I’m proud of both of us!  Again, I know this isn’t AA (not a fan), I appreciate the company on the wagon.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more