Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

small study, very preliminary but worth watching

Crushed
Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

Alzheimer’s Drug Shows Promise in Small Trial

Participants with the disease still declined, but much more slowly than those receiving a placebo, investigators say.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/11/health/alzheimers-amyloid-lilly.html?action=click&module=Latest&pgtype=Homepage

Comments

• ElaineD
    ElaineD Member Posts: 206
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions
    Dear Crushed,  This is excellent news.  A very carefully managed study, yes a small cohort, but followed over several years. AND monoclonal antibodies that stopped plaques and they disappeared in some cases.

This is leading us towards a time when Alzheimer's will be managed, particularly if diagnosed early.

My husband had a form of Leukemia (Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia) and with 6 monoclonal antibody treatments, a month apart, he achieved TOTAL REMISSION in 2019, which has continued for the past two years.  

My sister-in-law was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma in 2009, and her doctors put her on clinical trials of monoclonal antibodies.  Each worked for a year or two, then she entered a new clinical trial.  She had 8 years of very good quality of life that she otherwise would  not have had.

Monoclonal antibodies are not like Chemotherapy, they attack only the targeted disease processes, and the rest of your body is unharmed.

Thank you for this good news, Crushed.  This another reason to get an accurate diagnosis, of course.  In our case, my DH probably has the Vascular Dementia that runs in his family, so this treatment wouldn't help him.  But without an accurate diagnosis how do I know?

ElaineD

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney