Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Risperdal(1)

Has anyone dealt with risperdal? Dr is putting my DH on this for restlessness. He takes Depakote and risperdal will be added.

Comments

• HusbandHasEO
    HusbandHasEO Member Posts: 12
    Second Anniversary First Comment

Hello - my husband is on risperdal.  So far, I think it has helped some.  Seroquel seemed to cause more aggression for DH.  

Honestly, my husband's condition is changing so rapidly, I am having a hard time discerning what is the disease progressing vs. medicine side effects.

• Ernie123
    Ernie123 Member Posts: 152
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    My DW was prescribed Risperidone for delusions and anxiety. It helped for several months but then the delusions worsened. Her geriatric psychiatrist switched her to Olanzapine and it was amazing how well it worked. She is now mostly calm, happy and no more upsets. He said that everyone is different and sometimes meds must be tried to judge their potential efficacy. What works for one person may not in another. As a caregiver I know only too well it can be very stressful to try and deal with delusional upsets. Having a good doctor with experience treating dementia is key.
  • 4Grams
    4Grams Member Posts: 17
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments
    My DH has progressed rapidly also. He finally slept last night. Hopefully the meds (Depakote and Risperdal/Risperidone are kicking in. Off Aricept and Namenda. This past week has been rough!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more