Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Covid vaccine for unresponsive terminal final stage

Is seems the vaccine will prolong life and suffering. Spouse is unresponsive (no sight, no hearing, no sense of touch except to open mouth if food is pressed into his lips). He wanted us to "pull the plug" well before this stage. Do I refuse the vaccine for him?

Comments

• zauberflote
    zauberflote Member Posts: 272
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes

Melby, I am so sorry it has come this far for you and him. My brother and I were having this conversation last month about, if Mom were still alive, and still as she had been the previous December, would we put her through the possible side effects of the vaccine. We both thought that for her sake, we wouldn't. I added, but for the sake of her little MC, we probably should, because she would have wanted to continue "loving her neighbors as herself". It was a rock and a hard place which I'm really glad we didn't have to sail through. 

It's all a crappshoot... you don't know whether vaccinating your spouse would bring greater benefit to the community than it would harm to him. My instant gut reaction was to tell you to refuse, but that may only be because I'm not in your shoes. IOW, I'm no help At All, sorry!

• terei
    terei Member Posts: 567
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes
    IMO the vaccine is for someone who has the possibility of continued healthful life.   I would let someone else have it.
  • Melby
    Melby Member Posts: 4
    Seventh Anniversary First Comment
    Thanks for the replies - my one concern is for protection of the staff and if it would make any difference in prevention for them.  I certainly cannot justify the need for him to be protected.
  • Melby
    Melby Member Posts: 4
    Seventh Anniversary First Comment

Thanks for replying.  Not worried about the side effects of the vaccine. More about protection of staff.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    I'm sorry you have to make a decision like this. If you refused, would they even allow him to stay there? Tough decision either way.
  • zauberflote
    zauberflote Member Posts: 272
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes
    Ed makes a very good point! And since you are concerned more for the staff, do go ahead and do it. It won't be wasted.
  • ElaineD
    ElaineD Member Posts: 206
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions

I suggest you ask the director or nurse in charge what they would prefer for you to decide for your DH.

Elaine

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,671
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Think you have good suggestions here.  My thoughts are along the same line.  Concern for staff and other residents there.  Also, even your spouse, this disease can cause much respiratory distress.  Not a pleasant way to die.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more