Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Repost - Using cannabis for your loved one

Repost from Alansad - 

very new to the discussion board and having difficulty figuring out how and where to post a question so I am giving this a shot. I am looking for info/discussion on those who currently using cannabis for their LO.Thank you

Comments

• Donr
    Donr Member Posts: 182
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes
    No, my wife has not tried cannabis and do not think that she would want to.  I though has a care giver I my give it a try.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    I'm not sure, but I think they had some threads on this on the caregiver forum.
  • Rescue mom
    Rescue mom Member Posts: 988
    500 Comments Fourth Anniversary 5 Likes

My DH takes medical marijuana. It helps calm him, helps him sleep, but has no effect whatsoever on the symptoms/behaviors of dementia.

People also often ask about the CBD oil with no THC. We also tried that, it had no effect on anything that I/we could tell.

• kemobetter
    kemobetter Member Posts: 8
    First Comment
    It’s interesting to read about the cannabis effects on dementia patients. My mom has a severe case of dementia, and she might try it too. I hope it will help to at least calm her down sometimes and let her sleep.
  • ouafaex
    ouafaex Member Posts: 4
    First Comment
    It’s interesting to read about the cannabis effects on dementia patients. My mom has a severe case of dementia, and she might try it too. I hope it will help to at least calm her down sometimes and let her sleep. We have hard times with her because she can be too agitated about something. It’s hard to calm her down. one of my friends consumes medical cannabis from OrganicCBDNugs, and he suggested we try it, too. He says CBD oil would be the best in this case, but I’m still unsure. I will ask my mother’s doctor about it. I personally want to try, but I also want to be sure that it’s good for her.
  • Paris20
    Paris20 Member Posts: 502
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions
    My husband’s PCP said she could not prescribe it and his neurologist told me that dosage was problematic, so he refused. Instead my husband was put on an antidepressant and Seroquel, which has a warning about causing strokes in dementia patients. My husband had a stroke this past May. He is permanently paralyzed on his right side. When I asked his neurologist about that warning, before DH even started Seroquel, he said, «That’s all we have.» It did help reduce my husband’s aggressive behavior but at what price?
  • JJAz
    JJAz Member Posts: 285
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments
    Discussed with DH neurologist regarding agitation and she agreed, although she could not prescribe.  Got prescription elsewhere.  Disaster for us.  Caused unsteady gait, a bad fall and hospitalization.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more